1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee may be able to lengthen your life and lower your risk of depression

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 20, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Drink coffee, feel good, live healthier:

(P)eople age 50 to 71 who drank at least one cup of coffee per day had a lower risk than nondrinkers of dying from diabetes, heart disease or other health problems when followed for more than a decade. That may be due to beneficial compounds in coffee such as antioxidants — which might ward off disease — and not caffeine. Decaf drinkers had the same results.

Coffee is not just a pick-me-up; it also has been linked to a lower risk of depression. In a study led by the Harvard School of Public Health that tracked 50,000 women for 10 years, those who drank four or more cups of caffeinated coffee per day were 20 percent less likely to develop depression than nondrinkers. Another study found that adults who drank two to four cups of caffeinated coffee were about half as likely to attempt suicide as decaf drinkers or abstainers. The researchers speculated that long-term coffee drinking may boost the production of “feel good” hormones such as dopamine.

Coffee may be able to lengthen your life and lower your risk of depression - The Washington Post

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What about people under 50 addicted to caffeine? Where's our study?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Around my household the condition "no coffee" leads to a remarkable decrease in life expectancy for both my wife and me. Thus, while the chain of causality might be a bit murky, I think one could make a plausible case that coffee "lengthens" my life.

HC and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's today's brew in the gallery. Pretty good. The maple hangs on your palate for a few minutes.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

LTL gets to the heart of the matter.

7. YankeeFan

Remember folks, coffee makes you live longer, marijuana kills:

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, now we are supposed to believe science!?!

FAKE NEWS!

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm switching to Zevia soon, and firing my Keurig back up.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does coffee cause you to maniacally obsess over long-ago democratic ex-presidents and their families?

11. YankeeFan

Helps to manage it actually.

You don't want to see me when I haven't had my coffee.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anybody remember that poster 2muchcoffeeman?

Draft saved Draft deleted