1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee makers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Dec 12, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My faithful Mr. Coffee with its fancy insulated carafe is nearing death. It leaks. The on button popped out, although it currently still works, I'm not sure how much longer it has.

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a new one. Given that I'm going back to school soon, I don't want anything too fancy (I'm so buying myself a big fancy one as a graduation present), but something programmable and without a hot plate thingie would be preferable.

Thanks in advance!

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Although it does not meet your criteria, I would vote for a French press. The amount of work required is about the same, assuming you pour your own water into your coffee maker, and the coffee is better.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've got a press, but sometimes a girl wants to wake up to the coffee already brewing.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's the link I was going to get you, SC!! :D

I got that for my wife last year for Xmas and it gained me major points. She may in fact love it more than she loves me.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a Mr. Coffee with a delay brew that I use Mon-Fri.

It seems solid enough to me. I cannot think of any real differences between the pots if you want to stay in the $25-30 range.

I have a question about the press. I use a small chopper to take the whole beans down to a chopped state. Is there a better way (crushing)?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/59695/

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You can get a grinder for less than $20. Put the beans in, push the button, and five seconds later you have ground coffee.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I paid about $45 (with coupon) at Bed Bath & Beyond and got a great burr grinder. Best product I've bought this year. That and the espresso machine I wooted. :)

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Drink tea instead. Coffee is nasty.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mr. Bags. You saved me the trouble of figuring out where this post was:

Eight O'Clock whole bean Colombian (brown bag) is damn good coffee. I get the 42-ounce bag at the warehouse club instead of the 12-ounce bag at the grocery.

I bought a Cuisinart Coffee On Demand coffeemaker last winter:

[​IMG]

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=376&item_id=472&cat_id=3

(No, I didn't pay a C-note for it.)

No carafe. It's like Pavlov's coffee maker --- press bar, get coffee. Uses paper filters --- I could get a permanent filter for it but I find the permanent filters lead to gritty coffee, for some reason. :-\

GE's One-Touch Coffee Grinder is a good one, too.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Get a press. Actually, get two: a little 3-cup model and a big 8-cup one. They're not expensive. That's the best way to make coffee at home, I think. Machines get nasty. Presses can be a little time-consuming to rinse off, but it's worth it...you'll always drink fresh-tasting coffee.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted