1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cocktails, Spirits and Mixology Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 15, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I almost went with Cocktails/Spirits/Mixology.

And, not to derail the thread, but I've followed some of the conversations regarding the Oxford comma. Did the tide turn at some point? I wasn't a great student, but we learned this early on. Didn't we use to right it the way I did?

2. YankeeFan

Just don't use a mix. Freshly squeezed lime juice, fresh mint leaves and don't forget to muddle.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Moi aussi.

Two other words that are like nails on a chalkboard to me are hipster and foodie.

Because of course every prior generation was ignorant about food and was totally uncool.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just playing!

Bartender: Look, Mister, I'm standing here waiting for you to make up your mind.

YF: That's a good man. I was just thinking, uh, . ... of a flaming rum punch. No, it's not cold enough for that. Not nearly cold enough. ... Wait a minute. . ... Wait a minute. .... I got it. Mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon and light on the cloves. Off with you, me lad, and be lively!

Bartender: Hey, look, Mister, we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast. And we don't need any characters around to give the joint atmosphere. Is that clear? Or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?

5. YankeeFan

Favorite scene, from one of my favorite movies.

Still believe mixologist and foodie are legit terms. It's not that they didn't exist previously, we just didn't call them that, so no reason for JR and others to take offense.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As the father of a 12 and 10 yr old, when pizza is a night out, any adult beverage is a great thing.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's how we have to use it at my work, too. Gov't style and all. Took some getting used to for sure.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, my wife works in academia now, so she does, too. Drives me batshit. She also has to leave two spaces after every sentence.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't think anything that Hemingway drank can be called a girlie drink. I love Mojitos, great on a hot day.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If the boys in the whites downstairs at the Coq d'Or don't use the term "mixologist" then no one should.

::)

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They're not girlie drinks; but they are pretty much the most despised by a bartender drink you can order.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Like.

Draft saved Draft deleted