1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coast To Coast Baseball: Article Worthy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Sep 10, 2008.

1. A mom of an area high school senior baseball player called the other day and told me her son (a good, but not great pitcher as he barely made our 15-player All-Area team which consists of schools in three counties) was one of more than 3,000 kids to try out and 1-of-50 accepted to play for Coast-To-Coast Baseball.

Looking at C-t-C's Web site, it appears to be a pay to play for us organization that helps kids get noticed by small schools.

Sports ed - who I get along great with (being serious, not sarcastic) - said to do nothing major, but something short (10-to-15 story with mug) on the kid.

I usually trust his judgment, but an average (or barely above) kid making a team (in which you must pay more than $2,000 to play for) whose top players include signees to Rend Lake College doesn't scream "great achievement" to me.

Anyone ever dealt with this?
    How did you play it up?
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Art Bell is the manager, I'd make it a centerpiece in a heartbeat.
  3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The league motto: I Want to Believe (I'm Going to be a Major Leaguer).
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I always tried to bury those as best I could. Or find a way to write about the kid with something else as the focus and include his selection to that team as a bottom-of-the-story detail, if at all. Those orgs are such a sham and I hated to give them any attention.
  5. awriter

awriter Active Member

The fact that they are a sham might be a good angle, actually.
  6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why would a kid even think that paying money to play baseball would get you noticed?

Wait a minute, I did get an offer in the mail that said I could make $80,000 working part time. That sounds legit too, right?
Draft saved Draft deleted