1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach's strategy for not talking to the press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

We had a local volleyball coach who didn't call in results. At the end of the season, we didn't name a player from her team to our all-area volleyball team. A couple days later, a player's parent e-mails and wants to know why her daughter's team wasn't represented on our all-area volleyball team. I explain to the parent that the coach hadn't called in results all year, so we don't know anything about the team, and if we weren't important enough to call with game results, we certainly weren't important enough to include any of their players on the all-area volleyball team.

This same coach also coaches girls basketball. Since our all-area volleyball team was announced, she's been calling her results in.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

From what I know the parents have been asked and they defer to the coach because in their estimation, "he's a great coach."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Translation: I don't want to rock the boat and have the bastard take it out on junior.

4. Coach Jack D. Ripper explains his new interview policy.

[​IMG]

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're going to have to answer to the Coca-Cola company!

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

go over the moron coach's head to the AD or the principal and explain the situation. if that doesn't work, what diego said.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's dumb. It's not like swimming or track where you can see the entire slate of times and plan your lineup accordingly. Oh wait the kid in the 171 pound class won.

What does that tell you? Nothing other than he is better than the other kid, who could suck, or be awesome. So still, it doesn't say much.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Presumably, You could tinker with your weight classes.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

In the entire history of swimming or wrestling has there been one instance where a team lost a dual meet because the other team's coach read results in the paper and stacked his lineup accordingly?
    I'd like to know of one documented case where it has happened.

10. partain

partain Member

I think I'd have some fun by covering (in as much detail as possible, no less) every meet they had for the rest of the season.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We had a prep baseball coach do this a few years ago. Never called in a game, or weekly stats. Last week of the season, he calls in his stats and says, "I didn't want to give anyone a scouting report on our team."

Then he starts bitching at me because of a feature we did on a kid who was one of the top hitters in the area. Coach starts telling me how one of his players was better than this kid. I said, "Well, if you would have been calling in your stats, we would have known that."

He had no response.

12. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

It's been my experience that wrestling coaches will moan and groan about coverage but they are the worst at promoting their own sport -- like calling in results or sending preseason info.

Draft saved Draft deleted