1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach's strategy for not talking to the press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

A friend passed this on to me..

Local HS wrestling coach won't report results because he says opponents use it to scout his team and plan their dual matchups accordingly. When parents gripe because of lack of coverage, the paper refers them to him who in turn says "if they want to cover us, they can come out here" even though they're one of about 9 major high schools in the area. (On schools and circulation priority, they're probably the third-largest). So the parents go back to the paper thinking they could say the paper isn't doing its job because the coach never says they can't "cover" their meets.

Anyway, a big pissing match has started, so he sends the paper an email with all the season's results. Just the dual final scores, nothing on any kid. The rankings occasionally will list a kid first if another school sends results into the state ranking association. But in the end, this school gets its ass kicked in the first round of the postseason anyway.

Is this a moron or what?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any time a coach refuses to say anything because he/she is afraid of tipping off the competition is an idiot, especially when it comes to down to the high school level.

3. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

I'd probably go with "paranoid asshole," SP, but moron works just as well. Possible solution: ask one of the parents who seem to already be in constant communication with the paper to submit the scores.

When I was doing season previews this year, our hometown school's wrestling coach didn't even want to give me a team roster ... and this is someone I've worked with for almost 20 years. He only relented when I told him I WOULD find another way to get the names.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Nothing like a coach's paranoia.

We had a little 1-A school (smallest classification in the state) that wouldn't call in his scores because he claimed that teams would use it to scout him. First off, his team was very good, so while everyone is righted to coverage, it's particularly frustrating that this team was good yet we really don't know why unless we were to cover every game. Secondly, his school was the longest drive from the office, so come time to dole out assignments, the school didn't win too many tiebreakers given that we had a lot more schools than staffers.

Funnier still, another coach in the county, one of the best sorts anyone has had the pleasure of dealing with, put it best: "There are no secrets." The coach knew what he was running, and so did all his conference foes. In summary, he wasn't helping his team's cause with the media. It's not that the coach was a bad guy - he wasn't and he harbored no hostility toward anyone - but the paranoia and the fact that he thought he had some sort of secret was funny.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He is a moron, but he is not alone in his beliefs.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Any coach who thinks his opponents are using newspapers to scout his team are probably the same type of people who complain that a lack of coverage costs their kids scholarships.
    When it comes to scouting, any coach worth his or her salt relies on game films, in-person scouting, and calls to other coaches a hundred times over before they pick up a newspaper and say, "Hmmm...Joe Jones scored 25 points last night. We might have to guard him."

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

How can one scout wrestling through newspaper results, anyway? I've never seen a wrestling gamer describe exactly how Tommy Sixtoe squirmed out of a hold. Sixtoe just won the event over Nothumbs in the heavyweight class and then a score. Not much can be gained from that.

Coach is just too lazy to send in results.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

In the high school roundup:
    Podunk at Local HS wrestling
    LOCAL -- Local HS coach did not report results.

Next week:
    BFE at Local HS wrestling
    LOCAL -- Local HS coach did not report results.

9. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Well, if the same kid keeps showing up with pins in :30 or less, the other coaches might find out that hey, he's pretty good. Of course, since they've probably been watching said kid since JO, they already know that.

I'll still vote for paranoid over lazy, but it's a close call. Maybe some of both.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yeah, wrestling coaches never talk. It's a tight-lipped fraternity.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

There's a local swim coach who calls every night and says he won't give any of his times because he doesn't want to let his rival know how his swimmers are doing in advance of their annual showdown in three weeks.

Not only does the other coach alway calls and gives us every time, the original coach has acknowledged that his team won't win that meet.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I love it when podunk high school coaches get in pissing matches with the paper. They never, ever win.

One place I worked, the football coach got mad at us for something or other we wrote, told us not to come out there anymore.

"Ok," we said, "we cover something like 50 high schools. You just made our job a little easier."

Now, Coach Dickhead's team had about a four-year losing streak. Seriously, had not won a game in like four years. We knew which game they were going to break it ... some dog shit game we had been targeting since the schedules came out in July or whatever. But we didn't go ... because Coach Dickhead told us not to.

Well, of course, the team breaks their streak. And instead of some heartfelt, 20-inch gamer ... they get a three graf lead in the roundup. And, of course, fans and parents are pissed.

We refer all calls to Coach Dickhead, who has explicitly instructed us to stop covering his program.

He ends up having to come to the office and make up. We cover him the rest of the year. They win maybe one game.

The postscript of the story is, about a year later, he gets shitcanned for drinking on the bus after the game. So, that was kind of funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted