1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach's preemie story

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by TyWebb, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Bravo, Ty. Well done.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Damn good read, Ty.

It got pretty dusty in here, too.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I finally read the whole story, Ty.

I can't comment on it critically as an editor or a journalist.

It's getting pretty damn dusty in here. Phenomenal job.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

I'll echo everyone else, Ty.

I admire the sensitivity you took in telling this story. I'm sure you've heard from countless preemie parents. You touched on every issue they face and did so with a very delicate touch. Well done.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. They really do mean a lot and have been very encouraging to this young writer.

I talked to the Kirks last week and they were very pleased with the result. I don't think they realized just how big we were going to play it in the paper. They were really happy to have something to remember Zach and spread his influence.

I was talking with my executive editor, who has been amazing by giving Tricia and I so much time and space on this story, and we were actually surprised that we didn't receive a single bit of negative emails. I guess we are just so used to it from parents, we didn't know how to react to overwhelmingly positive responses.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Just want to echo that it is really dusty here too....the photo of the older sister saying goodnight to her brother is terrific

7. forever_town

I just looked at all the pictures again. I was playing Fleetwood Mac's "Beautiful Child" in my head.

I lost it. I had some serious waterworks in here.

That story hasn't lost an iota of power. In fact, the photos with the story (and admittedly, a song about lost love -- and one I play whenever someone young has been taken from this world too soon) all conspired to make it dusty as hell.

That's a testament to how great this piece is. It's still hard to take.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. forever_town

If there's any justice in the bullshit factory that is newspaper awards, this will win some major awards.

Just a tremendous job all around by Ty and the photog.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone who has a negative response to that is a moron.

Ty, this was a VERY nice piece and shouldn't garner any type of negative criticism.

Draft saved Draft deleted