1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaching searches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Nov 24, 2007.

1. What's the craziest coaching search story you've encountered???

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Last year's Bama search had to be an all-timer...

The year the Bucs traded for Gruden had to be one of the worst ever as well... If memory serves, it went from hiring Parcells to hiring Marvin Lewis to trading for Mariucci to finally getting Gruden... I think it took about six weeks...

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We've had a weird, ongoing saga at one of our high schools here.
    In basketball, they couldn't find anyone all summer. They interviewed a half-dozen people, but either the administration didn't like them or the money wasn't right.
    They finally hire a boys coach a couple weeks before practice starts, and a girls coach a couple days later. The girls coach has a sick daughter, though, and is in and out of practice for the first month of the season. She gets people to cover for her, but it's obvious she'll be in and out all season. So they finally sit her down and, more or less, tell her she needs to resign. They interview somebody else and hire her the same day. Two hours after her interview, the new coach -- whose previous coaching experience consisted of one season of YMCA ball -- leads practice.

Same school hires a boys and girls soccer coach over the summer. Girls coach, who had left her last job because she was burned out, decides she's still burned out and resigns from the new job a month before the season. Last week, the boys coach (who is a part-timer) decides he can't juggle coaching and his other job. So he calls the AD after a game and says he's out. Now, the head coach of both teams is a guy who started the school year as an assistant for the girls team.
    Whenever we'd ask the AD if they'd found a coach yet, his usual, only half-joking response was, "You wanna do it?"

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, there was the football coaching search at Ole Miss, where they finally thawed out a caveman and gave him the job.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Wasn't Callahan about the sixth choice when he was hired at Nebraska?

God help the Husker beat writers if that happens again.

6. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Dennis Rodman saying he wants to coach in the WNBA. Now there's an awful idea in the making.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Arkansas had a pretty messed up basketball search at the end of the season last year, with their eventual first hire lasting all of a day before leaving.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Don't you mean play in the WNBA?

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i didn't encounter it but the billy donovan to the magic and back to gainesville story was kind of nutty.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Worst part of being a beat writer. Hate this "I haven't been contacted" and "I'm not looking to go anywhere" and "I'm the coach here" bullshit.

That said I did get a coach on the phone after he'd been denied what he called his dream job. I got ripped a new one. Lots of fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted