1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches wife confronts columnist in press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Shot: The suggestion was a criminal charge, not a civil suit.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone suggested he deserved to be attacked. We're saying it was smug (and stupid and unfair) to write about it.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The spouse of one of the highest-paid public employees in the state comes in and rips your ass open in the press box? And then the NANNY does the same thing?

If it was the governor's wife, would you write it?

4. Exactly. I hate frivolous lawsuits as much as anybody. But this is the basis for a criminal charge, not a civil suit.

5. WRONG on so many accounts. she DOES have her own avenue to show her own side of her story, she can start a BLOG(!) and fully explain her actions or provide something in her own defense. would seem logical for anyone who is somewhat PR savvy. a colleen bellotti blog would have 100k hits in 30 minutes of posting.

BUT because she's PISS DRUNK for a noon kickoff (and not for reasons like she got up at 7 a.m. to go hang out and party with the students before waving pom poms at the game, we're talking about the REALLY BAD reasons she's hamtramcked by noon), she doesn't have the functioning brain cells to consider or even act on that course action, nevertheless the ability to control her own behavior. she has absolutely no credibility in this situation.

bellotti's wife has everything coming to her in this situation and it makes me fucking sick that there are actually people defending her. what a great example of everything that is wrong with our country. who the fuck does she think she is? THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We have another Carlson/Gundy debate on our hands.

Frank, I understand your concerns, but you bet she is a public figure. She only was in the press box presumably because her husband is coach. She only had access to Canzano because her husband is coach. Any decent human married to a public figure should treat his/her life just as judiciously as their spouse should.

I also do not come down on the side of TBF, who suggests Mrs. Bellotti can be kept in line by her husband. She is a grown woman, and she should taken responsibility for her actions.

Det. McNulty, I don't think anyone is defending Mrs. Bellotti's behavior. They are condemning Canzano's blog entry, another thing entirely.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Smugness is in the eye of the beholder.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Defending Bellotti here is beyond asinine.

There are a gazillion times when a columnist should be ripped for grinding axes just because he/she can...this isn't one of them. Get a clue.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, while we're qualifying, nobody here said Canzano deserved what he got. Reading Comprehension 101.

10. This is the same board on which Gundy had many supporters, so I'm not terribly surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

I agree with Frank that this definitely deserves a news story. But that doesn't mean he can't also write a blog entry or column. He's a columnist! Why in the world wouldn't he offer his observation or opinions about an incredibly bizarre incident that occurred right in front of him?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, being disappointed would probably indicate that you are, indeed, a sports journalist ...

Look, at worst, I think all that's being said here is that perhaps professional journalists should aspire to something a little higher than reporting on their catfights, even if it's on a BLOG.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Small nitpick, but it's UO, not OU (that's the Gundy state).

Spouse/ex-spouse, but exactly. Ms B's got to be smart enough to (wo)man up and not do something like that - especially in a press box full of REPORTERS and other COLUMNISTS. (Christ, Colleen, do I need to spell it out for you?)

I loved (from a omg-great-drama standpoint) the kids line in this one. I just wish we had a corresponding YouTube link...

edit: I checked YouTube just to make sure. Nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted