1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches wife confronts columnist in press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. So all a person has to do to take a reporter out of the story is assault the reporter?
    I think this is taking "objectivity" straight to the loony bin.

2. Keith Parsons

Keith Parsons New Member

It reads as if most everyone feels John wrote this blog as "retaliation," or some other form of payback. I read the blog in question and didn't get that vibe at all. Perhaps I missed something.

As a columnist, his duty is to report on the news from his perspective. That's all he did here. Again, I go back to my earlier example of a coach, player or other news source arguing with a columnist. T.J. Simers (yes, I know how some of those here view him, I happen to enjoy most of his work) has made a career at doing this, and a pretty successful one at that. Maybe this style doesn't sit well with everyone, and that's certainly within your rights. Yet it doesn't violate any journalistic principle I've ever heard.

Also, I'm with those who feel these principles should be for the same for blogs and columns. John's work here met that requirement.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

It doesn't take him out of the original story -- that of the son's DUIs. I don't think that's the issue. But the story of the confrontation? Should be written by someone else. Now, if he wants to blog about it in addition to offer his perspective, that's probably OK (though I'd like to hear what others think about that). But surely the only reporting on the incident -- assuming it's newsworthy -- shouldn't come from one of the participants, even an unwilling one. Give me a reasonably impartial account, and then perhaps his view to go with it.

4. duckncover

duckncover Member

I didn't read the entire thread here, so pardon if I'm trodding familiar ground: I still fail to see where this is news. Maybe to Canzano it's news. Maybe to those in the press box. But what does this have to do with the football team? Or even sports in general?

She was pissed about something he wrote about her son. Fair enough, and maybe that alone brings it to the level of publication (web vs. paper arguements are pointless these days, folks) but does he blog about every one of these experiences?

With his caustic style, he's gonna have a lot of them.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ms. Bellotti gained entry to the press box because of who she is. She wasn't a random fan. If you're in the press box - you are there in an official capacity. I think sports writers have an expectation that they won't be bothered when they are in there and they won't bother anyone else when they are in there. When the person doing the bothering is the family of the head coach, its news. If they have a problem with Canzano talk to his editor.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And let's not forget that Mrs. Belotti, in ripping a reporter for bringing attention to her son's habit of boozing and driving, made sure that fact become known on a more widespread basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted