1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches who didn’t get second chances

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter2, Nov 29, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Perkins was unorthodox as hell. He signed Ray Seals off of a semi-pro team in Syracuse in the late 1980s. Seals ended up playing almost a decade in the league.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Blacklisted by LeBron.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jim Fassel, went to a Super Bowl, won 2 more playoff games than Marvin Lewis. Fassel was 54 when he was fired by the Giants and he never got another chance.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I did some more investigating on the rumors alluded to by Daniel Simpson Day.
    Fassel appears to have partied himself out of the league, which if true I can never recall happening to an NFL coach.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Going way back when, Buddy Parker quit the Lions after a drinking spree which climaxed with him announcing at the welcome dinner that the team was horrible, so he was resigning. That turned out to be the year the Lions won their last title.

Then Parker went to the Steelers, had a few winning seasons, then quit because, while drunk, he wanted to dump a player and the Rooneys wanted him to wait until he sobered up before making the decision.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

While be a bad pro coach and age played bigger factors in him not coaching again, Barry Switzer was alleged to have been drunk most nights during his final season.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Nolan Richardson?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Blatt was a classic high risk/high reward coach. He was chosen for the rebuild which was preempted by LeBron. Coaching in Israel and Russia doesn’t exactly prepare one for the NBA and the players didn’t respond to him. Plus, they won the title the year he was booted and made 2 more finals after that.

Walt Michaels didn’t get a sniff after he quit the Jets and the USFL folded. I guess the bottle did him in.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Butch Jones, if there's a God above.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Mike Sherman. At least not at the NFL level. He left with a high winning percentage but, I believe, outside of the NFC Central/North games, he was a .500 coach.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike McCarthy not get a second NFL head coaching job, unless it was at some bottom leader like Cincinnati.

Some of the others in this list that cross my mind... Mike Tice, Jim Tomsula, Cam Cameron, Steve Spagnola, Scott Linehan. Jim Hanifan, I thought, did a good job with the St. Louis Cardinals but never got a second shot.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well, he did win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as quarterback. That’s got to count for something.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you throw out his work with the Panama national team and 11 games with WNBA's Tulsa Shock (and you should), yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted