1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches poll out; Florida No. 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-Backs Hack, Dec 3, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So I take it you feel Michigan is the second-best team in the Country and should play Ohio State again?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I see no reason why that should not be the case.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well that's fine, it's your opinion.

But calling everyone who thinks Florida is better a sheep is unbecoming. You should at least allow that people saw the game last night, looked at Florida's resume, and decided "You know, I think Florida is better."

I'm sure there are those who are voting to make sure a rematch doesn't occur. I certainly don't think that's the right thing to do, you should vote No.2 whomever you think is the best team in the country. But there are those who think Florida is the second-best team, and they should be free to vote that way without people ridiculing them for it.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So a 10-point win over Arkansas vaults them from 4 to 2?

Michigan's only loss is on the road to the consensus No. 1 team.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No, a 10-point win over Arkansas, playing and winning one more game than Michigan, having the No. 3 team lose -- all of that and more vaulted Florida from No. 4 to No 2.

Are you saying the only way to measure teams is by their one loss rather than by their 12 (or 11, in Michigan's case) victories?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't legislate for how the voters feel. But it's important to remember Michigan was down 11 late, and only a late TD and 2-point conversion made it a three-point final.

I think for some, the three-point margin of victory is misleading and that Ohio State was clearly the better team on the day. You could also look at voters rewarding the Gators for winning the game they had to have.

Maybe the thinking is: Michigan had a game to win. It didn't. USC had a game to win. It didn't. Florida had a game to win. It did.

Not saying it's right, but it doesn't make everyone sheep.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bingo.

And given that Florida and Michigan both have one loss, no one can say definitively which is the better team. Florida survived an SEC schedule, which was tougher than Michigan's schedule. Michigan's one loss was to OSU. You can argue for either team.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I guess the Big 10 will just have to move games to later in the season so people don't get so confused when teams end their season at different times.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

No 1-loss team has a right to bitch. it's their own fault because they lost a fucking game.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Normally I would buy into that logic. But every team but 2 has a loss.

So I suppose you think Boise State should be in the title game.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would say though, if the Ohio State-Michigan, USC-UCLA and Florida-Arkansas games all happen yesterday, Florida is still No.2.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The BCS is such a fucked-up system that somebody has a legitimate beef more often than not, but the consistent argument I hear from BCS supporters is that there is a playoff -- it's called the regular season. So sorry Michigan, you don't lose in the semifinals then turn around and play the same team in the championship game. If the regular season is the playoff then the Wolverines don't have any more room to bitch than a basketball team that was put in the toughest regional.

Draft saved Draft deleted