1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches on the Move

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Dec 16, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

There is a lot of talk about how coaches move from one school to another, the backroom discussions, denials, plane trips and other actions.

Is there a good way for them to do it? Is there a way for them to deny, or admit, they are looking or being sought or talking with someone?

If I were the West Virginia AD, I might be pretty pissed off that RichRod skirted off a year after flirting with Alabama and getting a raise and upgrades. But he should know his coach could be a hot commodity.

Rodriguez did not flatly deny he was a candidate nor did he discuss it. He didn't act like Saban last year when he was with the Dolphins. He didn't act like Petrino and slink off in the dark of night.

So is what RichRod did better or maybe the appropriate way to do it? Did Michigan's AD not request permission? If not, then the two ADs have something to discuss.

How should a coach looking at a better job work the process? If he does it openly then it can create hard feelings and hurt recruiting. If he does that on the sly, the same happens.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If I were a coach, I would probably address every question about my job intentions with: "I have a policy that I don't discuss jobs."

Not a denial. Not an admission.

And, as a reporter, I would have no problem of that. I do understand that these guys would like to guard the process as much as possible. It won't stop me from trying to get the story other ways, however.

At the top levels of sport, you don't often get this kind of information from the head coach, at least not publicly. Who has ever broken a hiring/leaving story from a presser? "Well, yeah, since you asked, I am going to Michigan. Thanks for asking."

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just once it'd be nice to hear a coach give a speech like this...

"I'm happy to be the coach here. I like it here. It's a good job, the pay's not bad. At the same time, when you have success people come calling. I owe it to my family to look at all the options out there and pick the best one for all of us -- whether that's staying here or moving on. How many of you wouldn't do the same for you and your family?
    "I have a responsibility to these guys in the locker room, sure, but no matter when I leave -- whether it's tomorrow or 30 years from now -- there's always going to be a group that might feel disappointed and rejected. That can't be helped. What can be helped is to be honest with them and, as much as possible, with you guys in the media. Any negotiations that may take place with other schools should be a private matter. I'm sure you'll hear something through the grapevine that I've talked with Podunk Tech or Blowme State. But until such time as I have accepted or rejected an offer, I'd prefer not to comment on it. Thank you."

Would that be so hard?

4. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

This was Jim Grobe's quote on Dec. 3. Not perfect, but at least better than most I believe.

"When you're doing things that haven't been done before at Wake Forest, your name gets out there and people have an interest," Grobe said. "But for me, our players understand I'm happy here. I think our fans understand that.

"I don't know that there's not another move for me, but I'm not out there chasing that move around. I'm not opposed to talking to people if they're interested in what we've done here. But we've got a good situation at Wake Forest."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think that is perfect. He's not saying he won't listen, won't do what's best for him and his family, but he's also not looking to move. Pretty much sums up anybody with a job. If another paper comes calling tomorrow with a nice offer, is there anybody on this board who wouldn't at least check it out and see what it's about?

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

That's why Grobe is respected by most reporters, and guys like Rodriguez (who, yes, two weeks ago said he wasn't a candidate for the Michigan job) aren't.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's reason No. 579 to like Jim Grobe.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Generally speaking, a coach like Rodriguez ain't gonna interview in person unless both he and the school are pretty sure he's gonna take the job.

In order to avoid the clusterfucks like the one that transpired in this situation, coaches are gonna use intermediaries to both communicate their interest/disinterest and also talk parameters.

If it winds up not working out, there's nothing that can be traced back to the coach.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago, Michigan was still trying to woo Les Miles. In all fairness, he probably wasn't a candidate then.

Draft saved Draft deleted