1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches and "family emergencies"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rubadubdub, Nov 14, 2008.

1. rubadubdub

rubadubdub New Member

Twice this fall I've had coaches of losing teams disappear immediately after games and been told by assistants that the boss had to leave because of a family emergency. It wouldn't have been so bad if the second time this happened I hadn't bumped into the head coach right outside the locker room (and yes, I got a quote).

I have never had this happen before in nearly 20 years of covering games. Have I just been remarkably lucky to have never run into this before, or has "family emrgency" always been code for "he ain't talkin to the press?"

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If there was a family emergency, why did the coach finish the game?

Should have left much sooner, you'd think.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Gotta finish the job you started. Duh.

[​IMG]

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Look at the book and then tell me why this country has gone down the tubes.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ya know, in seven years, I never noticed that book. Not once.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on. that has to be photoshop at work.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Did the coach's team lose by 20-plus points?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yep, Wired did a blurb about the kid's book switch. But the famous binocular photo is legit.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

A couple years ago, a very prominent college basketball coach got called out by another very prominent college basketball coach at media days for the conference. Called him a cheater and compared him to a well-known criminal.

As soon as this happened, the whole story became "How would the coach respond?"

The coach didn't show up, because of a "family emergency". Everybody there called bullshit. The school's PR didn't help matters because they were very snide about it and had a long history of intentionally misleading writers.

As it turned out, the coach's pregnant wife had gone into early delivery and they lost the baby.

At the time, one of the papers already had something on their website all but calling the coach a liar for not showing up.

Is it usually bullshit? Yes. But be really, really careful for the one time it's not.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

George W. Bush being able to read upside down has nothing to do with this country going to shit. There's plenty of things to knock, but his amazing reading ability is not one of them.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Looking at another student's book, paper or work is probably how he made it through college.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Here's what you do:

Note in your story, "Central coack Knute Rockne was unavailable for comment after the game. Assistant coach Pop Warner said Rockne had to leave because of a family emergency."

Draft saved Draft deleted