1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach suspended for ripping team in newspaper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with running suicides?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between "we played like chicken you know what" and "we are chicken you know what."

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Mick Cronin's post-game rant after losing to Louisville last night ...

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

A question:

Anyone who covers high schools ever find themselves censoring coaches and players because of quotes like this?

Honestly, if I was covering high schools, and a coach said something like the "cowards" quote mentioned above, I'd probably think to myself, "Yeah, you really don't want to say that, coach" and not use it.

Most of these people aren't experienced enough with the media to envision the words they are saying in print.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have done that, too, at the high school level, when a coach seems to not understand dealing with the media too well.

Instead of tossing it out, though, I will say, "Just doublechecking here, I've got you saying xxxxxx. Is it OK to quote on you that?'' Lots of times they say yes.

That's a courtesy I extended when I felt folks thought there were maybe talking off the record or I that the interview had ended and we were just chatting, or I called someone up for information and they said something unexpected or someone who just didn't understand how it works.

And it doesn't work so well in the heat of battle after the game, but I have repeated quotes back to coaches then, too.

"Just checking -- did you say the quarterback will need to douche after the game?"

Draft saved Draft deleted