1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach suspended for ripping team in newspaper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 31, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is a D_B or if it should be in journalism topics, but here it is:

http://www.newsradio880.com/pages/193449.php?contentType=4&contentId=298949

Coach Suspended Over Comments to Newspaper

PUTNAM, CT (AP) -- The longtime boys' basketball coach at Putnam High School has been suspended for two games for published comments he made about the team after a loss.

Tony Falzarano, who has won 533 games in his 33 seasons at Putnam, criticized his team after Saturday's loss to rival Tourtellotte Memorial High.

``You can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what,'' he told the Norwich Bulletin. ``And right now, we are chicken-you-know what.''

Principal Bill Barry said he saw the comment in the newspaper and decided action was warranted.

``He's been a coach for a long time, I have a lot of respect for him,'' Barry said. ``But his quotes in the paper were not acceptable.''

Falzarano disagrees, saying his free-speech rights have been violated. He has hired a lawyer.

He said he met with the team Tuesday and discussed the situation.

``I told them that if I offended anyone, my team, the parents, the community, then I'm sorry for that,'' Falzarano said. ``But my integrity is being questioned.''

2. Paging Starman ...

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The Turtles can bring out the worst in a coach.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I've printed worse than that. I guess Putnam is a sensitive area.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What a chicken you know what decision.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

When asked about the low Iowa Basic Skills scores of her third graders, Ms. Susie said "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what. Right now, we're chicken you-know-what."

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

On another thought, why did the writer put the hyphens in different places on the chicken you-know-what?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So that you don't know what?

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There was a soccer coach in Georgia last year or the year before who was fired for less than that. Forget suspension. He questioned their effort and was shown the door without any lovely parting gifts. I think this place probably got it right. Coaches shouldn't talk that way about high school kids.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

I think remarks like that are a little harsh to make about high school kids' play. But I also don't think the coach should be suspended; especially after apologizing to his players.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

that's weak sauce

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Could not disagree more. I've heard and printed far worse from a coach. This guy didn't call any specific players out, didn't use any sort of epithets, and wasn't specific about anything. All he said was that his team played like shit. If his team played like shit, then he should be able to say his team played like shit. Hell, he even censored himself, which is better than I've seen from some coaches. Candor should not be punished.

Draft saved Draft deleted