1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach Sanctimonius: Nominations for poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I believe they actually said he <i>is</i> contractually obligated to do that pregame interview. Said something about the Big Ten could be fined $10K for him not doing it. At least that's what I thought I heard.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet Paterno would ask to see his signature on any such contract. Why? It doesn't exist. The contract is with the conferences, yes? Coaches don't sign those.

Too fine a point, I'm sure, but one I'd bet he'd argue.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'd argue it even if he signed it at midfield at halftime of the Ohio State game on national TV.
    Crusty old dinosaur needs to go...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

One question...and I know I'll get roasted to a crisp for this...

But does it really matter if Paterno didn't talk to the media? To me, post-game interviews, especially season-ending ones, are useless. I know they're necessary from a media perspective, but from a fan perspective, I'm not all that interested in what a coach has to say.

I say this as both a fan and former media member, who in no way is a fan of Paterno.

5. Sorry to disagree, AA, but access -- to players and coaches -- is our trump card. Without it, we're no different from the blogger sitting home watching the game in his rec room.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You are generally correct but this is The Rose Bowl. Paterno, 82, just signed a 3 year extension, and it's been relevant to ask what contact he's had with his team. He's in a booth during the game, he doesn't talk to his team at half time. It would be interesting to hear him asked what kind of contact he has with his coordinators at half time to make adjustments. I think the basic point to make, in front of a national audience, is that Paterno is a mere figure head with little player contact and little input into game planning. His aura and halo about giving back should be contrasted with his enormous salary at a time of severe budget shortfalls for education, especially post secondary State colleges.
    How long has he been the Wizard and who, exactly, is behind the curtain?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK...in that context, I'll agree. I don't keep up with the myriad of goings on at Penn State or most other universities.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Oooooh! Ten GRAND! Guess they'll have to shut down their TV network now.

These fines are simply ridiculous. Just charge these tinhorn dictators the going rate for commercial time when they don't sit down. If Coach A talks for five minutes, charge coach B for five. Oh, and don't run their bullshit commercials about the university.

Money talks in college football. Fine the coaches, and even the school presidents might sit up and take notice.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Willingham, oh wait.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Fans don't care what a coach has to say? Really?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I figure a coach blowing off the media is an open invitation to roast the fucker when his team plays like JoePa's played yesterday. I hope someone played that card.

12. I find it difficult to argue with this.

Draft saved Draft deleted