1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach reaction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by frogscribe, Apr 3, 2009.

1. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Not disputing (as I wrote in a previous post). And I understand what you (and others) are saying.
    Like we say down here in Tony Romoville, preception is reality.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People don't understand how journalism works.

And it's easy -- especially at smaller papers that cover fewer schools -- to fall into the trap of being liked instead of doing your job.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to bury you even though it may have seemed that way. You admitted you shouldn't have said that about supporting the team. No big deal. It was a shock of the moment thing like you said. You deserve credit IMO for saying you agree and wouldn't do it again. My apologies as far as my post implying you are no good.

4. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie New Member

The worst are the coaches who call up and bitch you out for reporting that Jane Doe made an error which allowed the winning run to score. Don't you care about Jane Doe's feelings, Mr. Mean Writer? How would you feel if that was YOUR daughter, Mr. Mean Writer. You're hurting a 15-year-old's feelings!

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not to mention costing her a scholarship!!!!!

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, God, heard that one too many times. I tell the people (usually parents) "If you want me to give so-and-so credit for a good play, they also have to be willing to deal with the other side when they make a poor play."

Too many people want the roses without the thorns.

7. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

The coach might be a good guy, but that definitely was a douche-moment.

I've covered a couple of girls programs with long win streaks like that -- not losing a district game in more than three years, not losing to a county team in even more years and not losing to anyone in a couple of years -- and when those losses finally came, the coach told me who the team was that beat his team last. He didn't baby his girls. If one of his girls complained, he knew how to handle it, how to use the loss to motivate his players.

8. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Thanks, Frederick.

9. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

I thought this coach would be the same as you described above. Obviously I was wrong. No question I see him differently now.

10. It's funny. Coaches always seem to think that one of the greatest crimes in sports is showing people up, and yet they try it with the media. This is exactly what he did to you -- he showed you up. Deliberately, purposefully. Premeditated. Perhaps in a calmer moment, this should be pointed out to him.

You said this guy was your friend. I don't know the situation, and reserve the right to be wrong, but I doubt that. A friend wouldn't pull this kind of crap on another friend. With friends, both people see each other as equals. Would he describe you as a friend the way you did him? Most coaches aren't "friends" with the media, even in small towns (which is probably how it should be). I think it's more likely that you are "friendly," which is a great thing to be. But it's important to know the difference.

(If the guy truly is your friend, I would throw the "oh, what drama" quote back in his face for the next 20 years. At every opportunity.)

Read the situation for yourself, but it might be worth it to have a quiet aside with this guy, and let him know, Hey -- I hope you accomplished whatever you wanted to accomplish with that, because that was it. That was your free one. It's in the past, and I let it slide, but next time you try to bitch slap me in public things aren't going to go exactly the way you worked them out in that script you wrote out the night before. Fool me once ... uh, don't get fooled again.

Or maybe just say that to yourself. But in any case, that's not happening again because now you know. Of course you reacted with the shock of the moment. That's how the guy planned it out. ("Oh, what drama.")

Now. I'm with the purists. Don't go looking for fights. Always be professional. Always be patient. The media member should always be the bigger man (human?) in situations like this. There are times when you show up and take the heat and get bitched out. And that's how it should be.

But again, there's a line between getting bitched out and someone trying to make you his bitch. And a coach should know that you know this. We all take a little crap now and then. But keep your dignity intact. And a coach should know -- by the way you carry yourself if nothing else -- you intend to do this.

He's their coach. Not yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted