1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach reaction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by frogscribe, Apr 3, 2009.

1. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Thanks. All of you are right.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You didn't do anything wrong.

3. The thing is, these things are almost always premeditated by the coach. They plan it out, they know it's coming. We have no idea what's coming, so we spend the whole time going, "Huh?" and are actually shaken up a little by the whole thing. Taken by surprise. I think most coaches wouldn't pull this stuff if it wasn't an ambush.

Of course, they might feel the very same way about the story they read in that day's paper, so there's that.

But my point is, this is a professional relationship. He is a coach, but he's not YOUR coach. We are grown-ups, too, and need to remember that in times like this.

Now, when you write something you are accountable, and should take the heat for it. That's part of it. I'm not saying that. Let 'em vent. Cool. And if you (we) screw up, for goodness sakes, admit it.

But sometimes it can cross over the line into someone trying to intimidate you, show you up in front of others. Assert a dominant position thanks to his position as "coach." Put you in a subordinate position.

Again, he is a coach. But he is not YOUR coach. If he wants to say something off the record before you guys go back to the normal routine, fine. But so can you. If he wants to say something in front of people, you can also hold your ground in front of people, too.

Always be polite, always be patient, always be professional. But be treated as a professional. Not a subordinate. There are two reasons why you shouldn't have said, "You know I support the girls." One, you shouldn't be supporting the girls. Two, and I don't know how it really went down, so I apologize if I'm wrong -- but it read like you're showing him your belly, he's the top dog.

Again, don't go looking for fights. I'm not saying that. Again, you gotta show up and take the heat and get yelled at now and then. That's the price of the power of the pen.

But I think too often we surrender our dignity in the name of "that's just part of the job." No it isn't. I can't say where the line is, but you know it when you see it. You're a grown-up too. This is a professional relationship. Don't forget that. Don't let the coach forget that either.

4. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Basically the same, sans one or two girls.
    I think I know where you are going with this. But I asked myself when I proofed my copy, 'Would I, as a reader new to this area, want to know how long had it been since the last district loss?' I would so I left it in.
    Of course it wasn't fair for the 2009 team (only 3 returning starters from state championship team), but hey, life isn't fair, and when you put on a varsity uniform in any sport, that comes with the territory.
    Am I on the right track concerning your post, TSP?

5. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

I appreciate your comments.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Maybe it's just me, but him trying to make a show of it all, standing up to the evil reporter in front of the team, would have made me furious.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One gets used to it.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Naw, you did the right thing.

What you wrote was newsworthy, plain and simple. Anyone you interviewed could have pointed out "this year's team is different".

Well, hopefully the players and coaches will use it as motivation --- I've had that happen more than once with my articles when rival teams were involved --- or, at the very least, grow up and understand they have to take the bad with the good.

9. Never apologize for the facts. They aren't your fault.
    And never, never, never say anything about supporting anything.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

By his logic you shouldn't mention anything good that happened in prior years in connection to a current team because the players aren't exactly the same.

You did the right thing, it was a very newsworthy piece of info. The coach was just being a jackass.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Exactly.

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

And how many of those girls actually read your story? .... None would be my guess...

Draft saved Draft deleted