1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach nominates himself for coach of the year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Nov 2, 2008.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I had a soccer coach do the self-nomination schtick many years ago. I casually mentioned it to another coach who was the gossipy sort. Every coach in the league gave the arrogant ass a razzing for a solid year.

At the other end of the spectrum, I had a shocker when a football coach got up at the podium at a luncheon last week and thanked me for picking him as our paper's coach of the year 22 years ago, He was a city guy who inherited an impossible job (his first) as a podunk in the middle of nowhere and took them from 0-8 his first year to 2-6 and then 9-1.

He said he didn't think many people outside of the podunk noticed and that those who did notice probably didn't care but it meant everything to him to have the big-town daily pass over coaches from towns where we actually sold papers to pick him instead.

He didn't even know I was in the room (I've been off the beat a long time) when he said it.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll give him points for honesty. Most coaches think it.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Were her initials C.F.?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The force is strong in this one.

5. TwoGloves

Yes, the fairfield ... I mean, the force field is very strong.

6. td truckers

td truckers Member

I've had this done at the paper I worked at...needless to say, he did in fact get Coach of the Year because his team was 20-0 in the regular season (basketball).

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Yes they were. C.F. also stands for clusterfuck, dontcha know...

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What sport?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Football... but his wife is no longer the SE... if she was a fish in the same circumstances, she'd be a muskie...

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

This is a little off-topic, but it still qualifies as strange things coaches do.

We had a football coach miss his weekly interview for a preview story, so he called the sports desk phone and conducted a solo interview on our voicemail -- complete with questions he asked himself.

11. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

By far, the best post on this thread.

12. TwoGloves

Unfortunately, I know it all too well.

Draft saved Draft deleted