1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

coach k = fraud

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 1, 2006.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Cause he is not white.

2. Skate, song andiron singing chrysanthemum, elderberry?

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Michael Jordan played in a different era, true, but it was an era where the Soviet Union was a pretty damn good team. The Soviets had already beaten us in 1972 and 1988, and if I remember correctly, Brazil won the 1984 Pan-Am games. The world has "been catching up" for quite some time now. Again, I know it was different because we didn't use our best players back then, but there is no excuse for these self-proclaimed "greatest athletes/basketball players on earth" to lose to Greece. We are supposed to own basketball, and we shouldn't expect anything less.

By the way, read the AP story. While the Americans were (gasp!) dunking in pregame, the Greeks were shooting free throws. We outdunked 'em for sure!

"LeBron James on a fast break. Alley-oop pass ... THUNDERING DUNK BY 'MELO!! Oh baby, what a monster dunk! Here comes Greece the other way! A 3-pointer ... GOOD! Team USA back the other way. LeBron to Wade, back to LeBron FOR A TOMAHAWK DUNK! Greece quickly back in transition ... another 3 ... GOOD!"

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Have you ever seen this guy play basketball?
    [​IMG]
    And no, I'm not white.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You look at the shorts and the backward hat, and you say to yourself "This guy's a chump."

"Or a fucking geek."

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Billy Hoyle is a streetball legend.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The 1972 game was the most blatant fix in the history of international sports.

That, and the 1988 loss (and 2004 for sure), was also primarily the result of a completely dimwitted coaching staff pig-headedly insisting on the team using a playing style which completely neutralized all its strengths, magnified its weaknesses, and invited the international refs to fuck us over, as they will every single time they get a chance.

You can't leave the game close enough for the refs to fuck you, because if they can, they will.

The problem is not the thunderous dunks. The problem is we don't have ENOUGH thunderous dunks.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't care if this group was "hand-picked" or constructed to fit a "team concept." It's full of guys with little incentive (does patriotism still exist?) to play, unless there's some kind of Olympic/World Championships bonus I'm not aware of.

Here's hoping USA basketball returns to an all-college roster in the future. Nine months of the NBA is overkill enough.

9. Yes, because college kids are more patriotic.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A college team will lose every game by 40-60 points. There should never, ever, be another college player on any US senior men's team. There shouldn't have been one in 1992 -- sending Laettner, while Isiah Thomas sat at home, was a fucking disgrace.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Personally, I love all this hand-wringing. When they came up with the Dream Team in 1992 (an idea that I still think was bad, because I'm all for college and amateur participation) the people in charge were thinking "Great! Now we'll be dominant for years and decades to come! Think of the winning streak we'll have against teams!"

When the first loss occurred, people were like "Wait, wait, wait... that wasn't supposed to happen!" Others were like "you can lose?"

Newsflash: It happens. The international game has gotten better. And for every LeBron who wants to try his damnedest to win and do his best, another person is like "do I get a pimped-up Bentley for taking part in this?"

When not even the great, the immortal coach K can guide a team to a championship, then you know the USA game is not the best anymore.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think he's saying that it would mean more to the college kids to play. The pros don't really care unless there's a nice phat bonus check waiting for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted