1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach inflated stats — story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Re: Coach inflated stats — story?

I love that argument from parents: "How's my kid supposed to get a scholarship if you don't write about him?"
    I've never gotten a call from a college coach asking which area kids he should be looking at.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's not a story.

In the first place, it could be a case of a 15-year-old girl keeping stats who isn't very good.

In the second place, if you give too much weight to stats you didn't keep, the all-area teams probably aren't worth much anyway. You ask other coaches, college assistant coaches, refs, and people who know the game how good a player is.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if all stats are shit, sections should stop printing all-area teams. we're not in this business to push lies on readers.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with this one. A coach sending in inflated stats is fraud. It may also be worth finding out if other coaches in your jurisdiction (or hell, nationwide) have done the same thing. It might also cast serious doubt on statistical accuracy for any preps game.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The only time there is no doubt about the statistical accuracy of a high school game is when it is staff covered. No stats from any coach are reliable.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I'm a volleyball guy (one in a million), and I had coaches calling in to me this spring saying their kids had seven blocks.

That's fine, but then you had something like "Johnny Weedwhacker had 12 kills, 8 blocks and 3 digs, Steve Charliehorse had 10 kills and 7 blocks and Wally Wonderboy had 8 kills and 6 blocks."

That many blocks simply doesn't happen in a game, so she had no idea, obviously, what a block was. I never ran her totals for that category.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you didn't perpetuate the lie. i think that's what we get paid to do.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Just remembered the DMN requires registration. Here's the story:

Longhorns dispute A&M's assist totals

11:49 PM CST on Thursday, February 8, 2007
    By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Texas basketball spokesman Scott McConnell said Thursday he was removing eight of the Longhorns' 18 assists recorded by Texas A&M's statistics crew during Monday night's 100-82 victory by the Aggies.

McConnell said there is not video evidence to support the assists credited to Texas.

Texas A&M was listed as having 29 assists for 33 made field goals in Monday night's game, including a record 15 for senior guard Acie Law. When asked if he thought stats for A&M players were inflated by their home stat crew, McConnell declined to comment.

"For our integrity's sake, I felt it necessary to remove eight of our 18 assists," McConnell said. "In going back through the tape, those assists just weren't there."

Texas A&M basketball spokesman Colin Killian said, "That apparently is his opinion."

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so that was a story? i'll be damned.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

It was a story becuase the Texas SID made it a story by going public for no reason other than to discredit A&M.
    If he says nothing, the "bogus" stats go to the NCAA as is. And it appears the A&M stats went as is and nobody questioned Acie Law making some all-American teams.

12. Most significantly, it was a story because Law was getting credited with a record he didn't deserve.

Draft saved Draft deleted