1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach Hoodie stealing signals?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 10, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

So you switch out which guy is giving the actual calls. You can make it a different guy on every series.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Maybe Belichik's transformation from the loser 90s Browns coach into the winner 00s Pats coach isn't because he suddenly became a genius after all, maybe he just decided to start playing dirty.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please. Not like Bill was a saint before.

4. Mmac

Mmac Guest

True, he's always been an asshole. But in Cleveland he looked like an incompetent asshole, with the Pats he looks like a genius asshole.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Belichik cheats? I'd be shocked -- and on some level even disappointed; if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin, all that -- to learn that they're not all cheating. And if you're not smart enough to keep your signals from being stolen, then I have serious questions about whether you're smart enough to coach in the NFL to begin with.

Here's a question that I think might be relevent to the topic: At what point during ieach down sequence is the quarterback's helmet radio turned off? Is it when they break the huddle? Seems like if you can communicate with the qb without him looking at you -- as in by radio -- then you're able to coach this sort of in-play adjustment.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I think it gets turned off when there's 15 seconds left on the play clock.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which is why there ought to be a radio in a defensive player's helmet, not just the quarterback's. Rules committee turned down that request this past offseason. As it is, someone still needs to flash signals in to the defense to make adjustments.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

15 seconds, but if you're not in a huddle, it's off.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Shouldn't surprise anyone that the Patriots do this sort of thing. All teams do this, some are dumb enough to be caught doing it. Belichik is what he is and it is just another example that no one is beyond perfection. I am sure people have been waiting around for this sort of thing to bash Belichik and some of the flak is warranted but the endless hatred is just ridiculous.

10. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Here's a familiar name's take on it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20715148/

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

All reasons to dislike the guy and fine him but not near enough to suspend the guy for the whole year. Over reaction to simple rudeness and lack of moral boundaries.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Check out the response to that column at bostonsportsmedia.com ...

Draft saved Draft deleted