1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach forced to resign for drinking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, May 1, 2008.

1. fremont

fremont Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to the coach that is the topic of this thread, not the one I had mentioned or his kids. I for one don't care if the coach has a beer in a restaurant.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

If the written policy is cut and dried, no drinking when you're with the team, and he has a beer after or during a postgame meal with the team, he's wrong.

This is an easy story. Talk to the AD or other admins, cite the policy, talk to coach, talk to players.
    What else is there to do?

As a follow, could check some other school policies in the area, see what other coaches think.

3. Damn reporters.

[​IMG]

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What is wrong with having a beer with dinner, if your not driving and don't become intoxicated. I don't see that this should be an issue.
    Having said that, the coach is an idiot if he knew the policy and blatanly ignored it.

5. fremont

fremont Member

This is essentially where I stand on this.

If there's a policy, then there's a policy. I guess they've got to set an *example.*

Of course, thinking the way I do, having my kid (not that I really have any) watch his coach responsibly have a drink with dinner responsibly and not get shitfaced is exactly what I want him to see before going off to college where most everyone else will be drinking themselves retarded.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It was on a school-sponsored function.

Teachers can't have a beer at lunch on a field trip, just because they've visited a museum away from the school.

What if the coach didn't have just one? Say he pounded a sixer in his hotel room after "lights out" for the team. He's "off duty" some might think, in a private setting, on his own time.

Johnny Stupidity, the team clown, decides it would be cool to pull the fire alarm at 11:30 after they can't access Spankvision. Coach has to be rousted to deal with the hotel manager, police and other guests, and he's had four or five or six beers.

Now, as a parent or administrator-employee, would you want to have to deal with that situation or have your child put in that situation? What if a kid was wrestling and hit his head on the nightstand, cutting a gash, and needed to be taken to the hospital? You want the coach to drive him?

Doubt it. There's a reason for that written policy.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Well, it could by like if you had candy or gum in school, and the teacher would ask if you brought enought for everybody. :)

8. That is an option I hadn't consdered.

Seriously,
    If the guy is employed as a teacher or coach - and is serving in that capacity - he should not be drinking ... period.
    As someone pointed out, there is a reason for the policy.
    If you are really hung up on the issue insert "teacher" in place of the "coach" and see if you would still be OK with it. Because that is essentially what it is.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it's a written policy, he obviously deserves to be reprimanded. If it's one beer with dinner, firing might be a little strong, but I can understand it. If you're a coach and you're with the team, you're in charge to some degree even if it's at an informal function like a postgame meal. You need to not only set an example, but be able to control the team and the situation if anything arises.

Knowing some of our local samll-town high schoolers, though, I'm surprised the players didn't buy a sixer for the coach.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was the team doing well? Did the coach piss off some kid's parents by not starting him?

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

After I covered a high school football game a few years ago, the coach did the post-game with me in his office, where his assistant came in with a beer for him and the other coaches. The kids were still around, in the lockers, coming in and out of the office.

I came back and told my ed. what I'd seen and wanted to write it. But he said no, didn't want to piss off the coach. I think the story scared him, because this is the kind of story that would mean a month of angry voice and emails.

Draft saved Draft deleted