1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach forced to resign for drinking

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, May 1, 2008.

1. I've got a baseball coach who was forced to resign after drinking in the presence of his team. Have any of you ever covered anything like this before and any advice on how to cover this aside from the obvious report the facts?

2. I'd want to know if there is any written policy the coach violated. Nobody would encourage the coach to do it, but if he did nothing more than be an adult of legal age who had a beer in front of players (without offering it to them), does he really deserve to lose his job?
    What do the players think? I'm sure you can find parents on both sides of the issue as well.

3. There is a written policy, which I have obtained, that was violated.

4. Good.
    I'd want to hear from the AD, principal, any school board members who would talk, players, parents and the coach himself.
    By the way, I have never covered anything like that, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass. And I'm certain not everyone will talk to you.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Just wondering, is this high school or college? Is it a religious school?

6. High School, not a religious school, but a very small school in a small community.

7. For drinking in front of his high school players? Yes. Yes he does deserve to lose his coaching job. He violated a written policy.
    What would happen to a math teacher who sipped a Bud Light in class?
    Coaches are-should be held to the same standard.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What if they are on a road trip and he is having a beer with dinner or a beer in his hotel room? Would you fire him for that?

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I have to agree. If he wants to drink, great. But he should do it on his own time. If I brought a six-pack into the office, I know I'd be in the unemployment line the next day.

10. fremont

fremont Member

They weren't in our coverage area and I didn't have to deal with it, but a nearby school had their baseball coach of 30 years canned for his players getting ahold of some booze on some tournament trip and drinking in the hotel room.

If it wasn't on school grounds during school or baseball practice or whatever, I fail to see a problem with it.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think most parents would prefer that when their little darlings are on a road trip with the school team, they refrain from getting rip roaring drunk. Some parents are funny that way.

12. This was at a post game meal at a restaurant.

Draft saved Draft deleted