1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Co-inventor of Trivial Pursuit dies at 55

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sic semper tyrannis, May 31, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot - anybody got a game. Why not fire off some questions.

PS - to our Canadian friends, is the Canadian version different?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a separate Canadian edition.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Or about Brett Favre or TO.

4. I'll try to find it. Can't for life of me remember what it was called.
    But here's an old report that features interviews with Haney and Abbott while playing TP

http://archives.cbc.ca/lifestyle/pastimes/clips/2234/

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had never seen that. My boss sure looks different today, he hasn't smoked in years and he isn't a beer man anymore. Love those stubby beer bottles.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I still have our original Genus edition of Trivial Pursuit. My parents bought me the All-Star Sports Edition cards a few years later ... and no one would play me except eventually a three-on-one match which I won anyway.

I used to help some friends who would always come over during slow weekends overseas as a youngster. They found that I knew more than enough to help out with sports and that I wasn't too awful at geography.

Trivial Pursuit has a sports and leisure which goes "What is the sport in which you rack your balls?"

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The CBC story mentions John Haney who presumably is Chris's brother. But he's never mentioned in any stories about the invention of the game. Anyone know what happened?

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

John was a major investor, not an inventor. He played hockey at Colgate and lives in Toronto.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Randomly selected card from Millenium edition:
    PP: What did Portuguese explorers christen O Rio Mar, "The River Sea," in the 16th century?
    A&E: What famed film star cruised the U.S. Pacific coast on his converted minesweeper, "The Wild Goose"?
    HIS: Whose Royal Sceptre is topped by a diamond the size of a hen's egg?
    S&N: What maternity nurse coined the term "birth control," in 1914?
    S&L: What Olympic security man was heckled by an Atlanta Braves fan: "Hey, are you going to blow up the stadium?"
    WC: What do astronauts call the KC-135 that NASA uses to simulate weightlessness?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The Amazon River

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

John Wayne
    Margaret Sanger

Draft saved Draft deleted