1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Co-inventor of Trivial Pursuit dies at 55

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sic semper tyrannis, May 31, 2010.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Trivial Pursuit was a great game.
    However the accuracy of the cards in some of the special editions left a lot to be desired as in the Music Edition (that came in the red box back in the day) had several errors.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I really wasn't into it too much, but on a campout with a bunch of friends, it was one night's activity.
    My "team" rode my sports knowledge most of the game, then I told them to not do that, it was a team and everybody needed to contribute. We got to the end of the game, we had to answer one question to win.
    I will never forget this.
    Q: What is the nickname for the city of Cincinnati, Ohio?
    I had been to Cincy several times and I knew the answer ... Queen City.
    WRONG -- the freaking card said it was Forest City.
    I argued, but with no way to look it up, there was nothing we could do.
    I said, to hell with this game and have never played it again.

3. true. Haney and Abbott wrote the original Genus version, while "researchers" wrote the derivatives. Its why the Genus is so well-worded - the guys were journalists.
    Story goes that they took the money that investors gave them and they went to Spain for a few months to pound out the questions.
    There were a lot of nervous journalists waiting for the baby to be born.
    Imagine giving one of your co-workers, who has a fondness for the drink - $1000 of your hard-earned bucks to take a flyer on "writing" a board game.
    There's a great documentary that revisits the original investors for about three years as they all gather to receive their dividend cheques. Not quite Caligula, but a lot of ordinary folk revelling in their good fortune, none more so than Haney.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I beat you every time. Yeah, you peaked.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Actually, I think it was 1-1, with the third game suspended due to sleepiness. But if you really want to compare trivia resumes of late, I'm game. :)

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't know the Horn - as Haney was known - as well as I know Abbott but he was a real character. I have heard some great stories about the eary days of TP. It's an amazing tale.

RIP Horn, I'll hoist a cold one in your honour.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You have the face of a bitch.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I took third place in a citywide trivia contest -- by myself. Top that!

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

No. You didn't. Without Linda Hunt, you never would have been there. I supplied Linda Hunt. We can take this to PM's, but your bitch face can't handle the truth.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We had a famiily weekend at a beach house, some other families came along, my great aunt, assorted relatives. We started a game of TP around 11 a.m., the thing went until 5:30 p.m., maybe six. The make-up of the teams constantly changes as people came and went, to eat, to go for a walk, check out the beach, but the thing kept going. Finally, it was won on a question about Lil' Abner's hero. A friend of my parent's called out "Fearless Fosdick!" My great aunt was so impressed, she wrote a newspaper column on the game.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Patina, it's fucking patina!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get a fucking apartment, you fucks!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted