1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Co-defensive coordinator, or defensive co-coordinator?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Comma Chameleon, Aug 8, 2007.

1. School's media guide lists it as the former, but it sounds funny to me.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If there is more than on defensive coordinator he is a co-defensive coordinator.

If he is the only defensive coordinator, that's his title.

(check to see if the media guide lists a co-offensive coordinator -- if so, then they probably just have a unique spelling. if not, they may have two guys doing the defensive side)

3. Doesn't co refer to coordinator, not defensive? If a coach shares SEC Coach of the Year honors, is he Co-SEC Coach of the Year, or SEC Co-Coach of the Year? The SEC isn't what's shared, it's the award, right?

Or am I overthinking this?

4. I'd say your overthinking it, plus co-defensive reads a lot smoother than co-coordinator.

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

That was my thought, too, Okie.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Co-defensive coordinator. "Defensive" describes which coordinator, so it's part of his position.
    Plus, the other one sounds goofy.

7. I suppose I'll go with the unanimous vote here, although co-defensive coordinator sure makes me think of co-dependent where I read or here it. To me it seemed like one of those things that sounds goofy, like brothers-in-law, but is correct -- even if most people in the general population say brother-in-laws.

Co-defensive coordinator it is. Thanks.

8. caesarsghost

caesarsghost Member

I would write defensive co-coordinator.

He is a co-coordinator ... on the defensive side of the ball.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

yeah, but co-defensive coordinator may or may not be his official title.
    The school I just got done covering had co-offensive coordinators. Lucky, they're positions were listed as such, so I didn't have to think about it even if I didn't agree with it.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's hard to use that as a guide. At one school in our area, the AD is listed in various points of reference as the athletic director, the athletics director and the director of athletics.

11. he is a DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
    there is no coordinator
    That's not a position
    He's a HEAD COACH

So...

co-defensive coordinator
    co-offensive coordinator
    co-head coach

not

head co-coach

12. Not sure I understand that part. There are four coordinators on that team: two that share the role on defense, one on offense and one on special teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted