1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Co-bylines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Jun 4, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

double bylines are fine and necessary when two reporters contribute heavily to the info, or if one contributes the most important info. there are also times. mostly goneby times on news side, when one reporter literally phones -- or today emails or texts -- the info into a rewriteman. in this case, the legman gets the first credit, writer the second.

what i DO NOT condone is some joints putting two or especially more than two bylines on a story of, say, three or four graphs. sheesh. the n.y. tabs are guilty of this more than most.

in today's investigative world, it seems as if a separate box or a tagline is used to list all those who "contributed" to the piece. in that case, i believe anything more than two bylines is just silly.

eff the clips. if you contributed mightily to the piece just explain that in your cover letter or during your interview.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Co-bylines if more than one writer substantially contributed to (i.e., actually wrote sections of) the story.

"Contributed to" if additional writers contributed background material, quotes, stats, etc.

If you get to the point where more than two staffers can legitimately be credited as "writers," you probably should be thinking real hard of breaking the story up into sections -- mainbar, sidebar, etc.

3. I've never had any issue with them. Sometimes, I get a bunch of important material, a colleague gets a bunch of material, and we cobble it together. It would be unfair to one of us to have a solo byline and a "reporting contributed by" for the other one. No issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted