1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN's Roland Martin takes on Rick Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

CNN analyst and blogger Roland S. Martin (not the fisherman) takes exception to a column Rick Reilly wrote chastising a Houston basketball coach who routed a rival school resulting in a parking lot fracas, complete with gunfire ..

http://www.rolandsmartin.com/blog/index.php/2010/03/11/rick-reilly-needs-grow-a-pair/

Among Martin's comments:

My thought: Martin loses this round by being too close to the situation, getting too angry and lashing out instead of making a good case for Reilly's suckage.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To me, the most interesting part of Reilly's column was that as he called for USA Today to no longer have Yates as the nation's No. 1 high school team, ESPN RISE (which exists to legally fellate high school athletes) is fawning all over Yates as its No. 2 team. Maybe he'll call for ESPN RISE to take Yates off the board if it reaches the top spot.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Awful column. I'm not a huge fan of Reilly, especially with his current work, but really, comparing high school sports to college sports?

Just a wee bit of a difference there.

And he's full of fail when bringing up Nolan Richardson, whose team's graduation rate was abysmal, to the point where Richardson told the school's chancellor that he wanted guaranteed money in his contract instead of a bonus system based upon graduation rates:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/sec/2004-05-10-richardson-trial_x.htm

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Memo to Martin, Reilly and anyone else: "grow a pair" is not exactly literary genius. Try harder.

5. statrat

statrat Member

Pathetic note for Reilly to go out on. This was his last column for the mag apparently.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So now I've heard of Roland Martin.

7. mb

mb Active Member

[​IMG]

^^^Would have never pegged him as CNN material.

/yes, I know

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know what is more embarrassing for CNN - Martin dragging CNN into a pissing match about Martin's old high school or Ali Velshi tweeting and using "2" instead of writing "to." And then there is Rick Sanchez...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That bass needs to grow a pair.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is that common knowledge?

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Is this guy related to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (talkin' about the man)?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Apparently so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4977305

"Ironically, this is also my last column for The Mag. I'm going to try my hand at a weekly 90-second essay on "SportsCenter" beginning this spring. I'll still write longer pieces for The Mag, write my ESPN.com column, host "Homecoming," cover golf for ESPN and ABC and anchor "SportsCenter" once in a while."

Draft saved Draft deleted