1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN's new graphics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 16, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

For the 1st time since 9/11, a cable news network no longer uses the bottom of the screen as a constant news ticker, instead using it to add ancillary info about the story currently airing or the guest who is talking.
    Personally, it was like the addition of the Fox Box in 1994, we said WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Now, we can't live without it.
    I'm not sure I won't be able to get used to not getting constant news updates on CNN. A lot of the items they'd never have covered scrolled along the bottom of the screen. No longer.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't say I disagree with my wife, when she just said:

CNN must have pinkslipped the guy who did the crawl.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

God, no, if you ever closely looked at CNN, FNC, MSNBC - they were done by low-level desk people or interns. The grammar and spelling errors were numerous. They never really put that much effort into it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They call it "the flipper." They've been using on CNN International. I kind of liked the ticker approach because it put more info into each "bite." Now we get, Jesse Jackson Jr. - FBI informant (flip) Record cold across the US (flip) 23 dead in India flood (flip)

I still miss the color-coded index on how afraid we're supposed to be at any given time based on political factors.

and CNN also flipped the CNN bug to the right.

5. KG

KG Active Member

Aw man. OK, I turned it to CNN just now and it does look really strange. It's like watching 20/20 in 1990.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That sucks. I thought that was a nice news-at-a-glance feature

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Obit for the ticker:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-tue-rosenthal-cnnticker-rip-dec16,0,2043498.story

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Any time there's more of the picture on the screen, that's a plus. This is television, after all.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

MSNBC is the absolute worst. The spelling errors are unbelievable. I've never seen a local station in any market, big or small, that airs the volume of spelling mistakes that hit air on MSNBC.

During the campaign they did a segment on Fred Thompson, and put up a series of bullet points about him on the bottom of the screen throughout the segment. They spelled it "Thopmson" every single time. "Thopmson declares for president" would switch to something like "Conservatives believe Thopmson can challenge Giuliani." They managed to retype it misspelled every time.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Oh, now I see the flipper. Before, that wasn't even there. I don't think it was anyway.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It looks much sharper on HD.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

BBC, which IMO is the holy grail of Western-style news gathering, does this, so I'm on board.

Draft saved Draft deleted