1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN uses personal journal of slain Ambassador as source material

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What was reported from the journal was that the ambassador had reason to believe an attack was imminent. If he knew something was amiss, and the U.S. did nothing about it, that's a story, folks.

wicked -- good point. I still question if this was an active crime scene being investigated by our authorities. I tend to err on the side of freedom of the press, but if actual laws were broken, that's where it gets really fuzzy.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Eh, questions about the State Department's preparation for the attack were out there already. He's an excellent "source," certainly, but I think the value of the journal's contribution to existing information versus the ethical morass of releasing it minus the family's permission is still open to question. From a First Amendment standpoint I'd love to always believe the release of information is valuable, but practically I don't actually believe this.

Again, I think this was fair game. I'm just not sure whether I think it was actually the right call by CNN.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good post. I see what you're saying.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. Though we should say "consulate" in this case lest someone call us on the difference.

Same rules apply though and the FBI was investigating the attack. I assume the investigation is still on-going which is why I raised the question about tampering with a crime scene.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

After seeing Lugnuts' post about what was reported from the diary, can't fault CNN for going with the story. Wonder, though, if there wasn't a better approach with the family.

Maybe the reporter/producer(s) could have reached out, explained what they'd found and said, "Look, we have to report this. But, is there a way we can co-operate with you?" CNN might have had to wait a few days, but in that scenario, maybe they get a family member/spokesman on-camera to react to the ambassador's writings.

6. acharlotteobserver

acharlotteobserver New Member

Absolutely fair play.
    The government is only up in arms because it makes them look like the liars they've been about this.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

?

8. Armchair_QB

While I certainly don't have a problem with the Obama Administration being exposed for the liars they are the FBI is still investigating this attack. CNN - or whoever found the diary - did remove potential evidence from an active crime scene. That's against the law even if you're a journalist.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the administration lying about?

10. Armchair_QB

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did Rahm hack into the spokesman's email?

Draft saved Draft deleted