1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN to replay 9/11 coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Leo Mazzone, Aug 25, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Where's the joke?

I don't have a problem with CNN's Web site doing the playback. I'm sure CNN and all other TV news enterprises will be doing analysis and commentary rehashing 9/11. It's a five-year milestone; it'll be hard to escape, in any event. I don't know if I'll log on for the exact replay; I woke up about an hour after all the planes crashed.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll definitely watch. Was at work for most of it the first time around so it will be intriguing to see as it unfolded.

One of the more idiotic talking head reactions I recall from the day (not CNN, Some local yokel I believe) was a guy who as the 2nd plane hit wondered if there was something terribly amiss with the air traffic navigation patterns. As if after 25+ years of flying planes around the towers the LaGuardia and Kennedy air traffic controllers were accidently hurtling planes directly at the WTC. Brainless wonder.

3. I would love to get video of that dipshit...

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think on Sept. 11 I will go for a very, very long bike ride and try to not turn a television on. Maybe take the kids to the zoo or the park.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

It's still disturbing, to be sure. I agree we should preserve history, but I think watching documentaries on Pearl Harbor is a different realm than watch replayed footage of 9/11. Pearl Harbor was 65 years ago, Sept. 11 only five. It's still burned into everyone's memory.

At least the replay comes online, where people have more of a choice of whether to watch. Of course, I'm sure similar footage will be all over TV as well.

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

WTF? They wouldn't tell you what happened nor allow you to figure it out?

Did this happen in a lot of high schools?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You've got a choice to watch it whether it's on TV or on-line. If it's on TV, change the channel or turn the TV off.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yes it did. That afternoon, I went to high school practices and meets that were for some ungodly reason still taking place, and wrote about how absolutely uninformed a lot of the kids were.

Some girl said, "There was like a plan crash somewhere or something, right? Hey, I feel bad for the people involved, but we have to keep our minds on winning this conference." Got lots of answers like that, about how you have to keep focus, etc., etc., etc.

Strange, strange day. I wrote a column about how high schools that had decided to shelter their students from this deprived them of the opportunity to witness a monumental day in history. Some principal emailed ripping me a new one, about how I didn't understand what it was like to make those decisions that day, etc., etc. Maybe he was right, and I probably was a little bit out of line, but I was pretty pissed that you'd have teachers who didn't want 9/11 to interfere with their No. 1 singles players' eye on the prize.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Around here, everything was canceled. Then again, we're only a few hours from NYC and DC, and we're closer to Shanksville.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

You were dead on, Pringle. That was history, don't shield them from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted