1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN: Ted Kennedy rushed to hospital

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Other than opposing the war, what has Hagel done to merit consideration?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll take McCain over any of them... Biden would be up there as well...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's a pretty big one in my book, but he also co-sponsored (with Kennedy) the Immigration Reform Act and has amassed significant foreign-policy experience in only two terms.

His biggest plus in my book was his willingness to break party ranks and speak out against the Patriot Act.

"I took an oath of office to the Constitution, I didn't take an oath of office to my party or my president."

Not bad for a guy from flyover country.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Pope hit it. I agree with Hagel politically for the most part, but he doesn't have anything like the time and accomplishments of many others on that list.

The most underrated senator is Lugar, who's also gone to Washington to get things done, not get involved in bullshit.

5. Murray is more of a Mahoney's guy. His brother was in today's Preakness pool.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Trying really hard to ignore this...

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I can't help but wonder what the reaction here would be if President Bush were hospitalized. It's hard to imagine it would be handled this delicately. The fact that the majority of the group is perfectly willing to ignore Chappaquiddick in the name of being respectful comes across as hollow and biased. Fact is, no matter how many good deeds TK does, he will not be able to seperate himself from it. Nor should he.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you want to get picky, one brother only won one election -- ever. Hardly a titan of American politics; subcategory: back room, maybe.

He is the last of a line of American titans.

9. I'm not ignoring Chappaquiddick, but right now is not necessarily the time/place for it.

But I do think you're quite correct about the Bush hypothetical.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think you jumped on the paranoid wagon/trigger finger at Yawn too quickly pal. The Chap thing was picked up and run with pretty aggressively; hell, I posed that he might still have been the dem nominee in 1980. Next time, try not to hit the panic button when you see my post.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Quite frankly, I'm trying to figure out what was goofy about them other than a knee-jerk reaction by one of the panic patrol whose name I don't recognize. Alley Allen or Demo Christian, I might have seen that coming from. But what was posted was what I posted. Nothing more.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And it begins ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.