1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN takes us through the looking glass

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 11, 2009.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"It would have been irresponsible not to report on what we were hearing and seeing," the statement reads. So, yeah, of course the responsible thing to do is make the world think there's an attack on the White House going on NOW!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0909/CNN_unapologetic_after_Coast_Guard_report.html

Whew. Good thing they didn't waste time figuring out what the hell's happening before they aired their best guess. But at least the statement came from "CNN," instead of someone with a name, so nobody has to take any responsibility.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Maybe the bigger question is why is the Coast Guard running exercises with gun boats on 9-11? In Washington D.C.? With everyone thinking about terrorist attacks and burning buildings? Maybe the military needs to use some common sense and not freak everyone out by putting boats with guns in the Potomac River on this particular day to run drills.
    Just a thought.
    But you're right about CNN. Take some responsibility and stop jumping to conclusions. What's the rule: If you're mom tells you she loves you, get two other people to confirm it before reporting it.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cable news, all of it, has become pro wrestling-except not as well written as WWF. It's just cheap thrills for rubes who fall for patent medicine pitches.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those days are over. Everyone wants to be first and they are going to take mom's word for it. Even if she's wigged out on Xanax.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

And we wonder why journalism has a credibility issue these days.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, at least your mom loves you. I heard in on the police scanner.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny thing is - this isn't a story if CNN doesn't screw up. And hearing CNN dump it on the Coast Guard is a joke.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Coast Guard has been running exercises in DC for years. If the fuckwits at CNN did their fucking jobs instead of using their "ready, fire, aim" newsgathering process there is no story.

This it totally on CNN.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is the same network that was the last to confirm Michael Jackson's death. Wonder if there's any correlation.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

This is the same White House complaining that sent an Air Force One-fleet plane over NYC along with fighter jets for a photo op. Sometimes the pot screws up, sometimes the kettle does.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh you said a mouthful there ... when I was on the news side, my instinct was, whenever CNN or Fox or any of the other usual suspects got ahold of a missing teen, runaway bride, celebrity behaving badly or story of that like, was to FLEE the other way on my pages, and the sooner the better. They still like to take the hot video on YouTube and treat it like The Biggest Story in the World, and until someone realized what bad shape she was in, the Britney Spears breakdown a couple of years back was treated like a joke. Don't tell me we don't need newspapers any more when the cable nets treat all the world like a stage.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in watching Reliable Sources on CNN tomorrow. I normally don't watch it.

Draft saved Draft deleted