1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN plays it straight, hemorrhages viewers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The saddest part is that HLN outdraws CNN. That channel is trash.

I still prefer CNN to all other news networks, but then again I'm not an idiot in fear of everything on the other side of the tracks.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I recently saw Headline News for the first time in years and couldn't believe how they'd ruined it.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So I guess the moral of the story is that a network should take a side and be clear about which side it's taking?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure CNN's problem is that. CNN isn't particularly good at any one thing now, and some of their on-air talent is repellent.

Fox is better at breaking news, which used to be CNN's bread and butter. And I dare anyone to watch Rick Sanchez for more than 5 minutes without throwing something at their TV. Kyra Phillips is just as bad -- listen to her do a 3 minute interview and I swear you will hear Kyra's voice for 2:45 of it.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wolf Blitzer's breathless fits of anguish over the obvious has driven me back to the print media. Can someone please pull the plug on Larry King, is it still 1984?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I miss the old female announcing voice from about 10-12 years ago.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Too much of CNN is not news. I don't care if they slant left or right or up or down. I would like to have a channel where I can see the news when I want to see the news. That used to be CNN; that is no longer CNN.

Larry King's program is "news" about once a month - - and I'm being generous.

Anderson Cooper and John King do some news but not much and not broadly enough.

"Backstory" contains "added details" about some news story most of which are superfluous.

ShowBiz just stinks.

Lots of the rest of the stuff is features driven.

Once upon a time, CNN was about news. Not anymore.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Heck, I still miss Lynne Russell, and she's been gone nine years.

http://i39.tinypic.com/xclsfk.jpg

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Weren't shows like "Crossfire" that showed both sides CNN's biggest draws pre-FOX?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Agreed. And have you watched Tony Harris recently? I'd rather be strapped to a chair viewing Sanchez on webcam 24/7 than watch 3 minutes of Tony Harris "deliver" the news. It's the remedial hour. He dumbs everything waaaaaaay the fuck down. I wouldn't even speak to my 3-year-old that way.

Jon Stewart's had a field day with CNN talent as well as CNN's comical efforts to be "hip." Who could forget Carol Costello's recurring segment entitled, I'm Just SAYIN'! or the way CNN talent is forced to read Tweets from 'bugsack008' etc.

But Jon Stewart has also ripped CNN for having the same.tiresome. segment of Democrat on one side, the Republican on the other, letting them square off, and not bothering to call either on a damn factual error they spew. That criticism clearly got to the higher ups. I have read quotes from Jon Klein saying that sort of shit had to be seriously curtailed.

So I commend them on some things they've implemented, but some contracts need to expire, for sure.

David Gergen is one of the best things CNN has going for it right now.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Just sayin ... so many cable channels have moved away from their original concept. TV Land was started because Nickelodeon started airing more recent programs. Now TV Land has started airing more recent programs and sometimes even air original shows.

The Weather Channel is beginning to go this way. Give it 10 years. It will have forecasts on only from about 4 a.m. to 6 p.m. and then air weather reality shows the rest of the time and on weekends.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fucking "reality shows" are a cancer spreading across the entire medium of television.

MTV, VH1, NatGeo, the Science Channels, the Discovery Channels, the History Channels, TWC -- all being overrun by the fecal tsunami of "reality shows."

Draft saved Draft deleted