1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN plays it straight, hemorrhages viewers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Several months ago, CNN made the decision to pull all partisan-hosted stuff off the air and give an earnest go at playing it straight down the middle politically and journalistically.

The news is not good:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/business/media/30cnn.html?ref=business

People want their news with an accent these days. They find it comforting and reassuring to have their beliefs reinforced.

Fox is riding high in the ratings right now. Not "Dancing With The Stars" high... and their demos still leave something to be desired... Over 200 companies and counting won't advertise on Beck... but Fox is making a living, make no mistake.

I guess conservatives feel they are in very uncertain times and need a haven ??

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think people love to hear hosts who agree with them and attack people, institutions, fears real and imagined that they don't like.

Even if it's the same stuff over and over and the things that are the bedrock of your faith -- such as Freedom -- are things you would quickly take from someone scarily different from you.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Political slant has nothing or very little to do with. Watching CNN is like watching chaos.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ideological slant is the only way cable news can attract an audience on a daily basis (big news obviously works, too, but you can't count on that). This is because minus the slant, all cable news is the same, and all of it blows. It's like sniffing cleaning fluid in terms of brain cells lost per second.

5. Unrelated to anything, I detest its new website layout. I like the old one much better.
    I hit the new one less and go to the Foxnews site more.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, yeah.

I am not a fan of Fox News. But it operates on the conceit that no one else is really like them, and this is true. It jumped behind the "Tea Bag" movement, which is obviously popular with a portion of America, and it hired Sarah Palin, who is also popular with a portion of America, and Obama's little freeze-out, I'm sure, legitimized Fox to that portion even more.

Plus - and this cannot be overlooked - Fox News owns the AM dial now. Conservative radio companies gobble up radio stations, they all play conservative talk (as if only Republicans want to listen to AM!) and that drives folks to the TV shows. Hannity/O'Reilly spend about 10-25% of their radio program pimping the TV show. It only follows that viewers will set their dials. Heck, it's why we know who Miley Cyrus is - because Disney owns 70 stations or whatever and plays her music five times an hour.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

CNN has been hemorrhaging viewers for longer than the past several months, haven't they? Seems like it's been a trend for a long time, now.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

They've always been bleeding intermittently, but since they've made this decision, they're hemorrhaging.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Ahh, OK. Seems like I've been hearing the Woe-is-CNN stories for a while now. Maybe it's just more dire now than it was before. Or maybe they've all be recent and my memory just sucks.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

every time i watch CNN, it seems like it's 30 seconds of news and 3 minutes of commercials. very annoying.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe it's because you sleep through the news and that's all you remember...

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame soccer

Draft saved Draft deleted