1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN: Penn State emails suggest Paterno involved in cover up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Your kidding right?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was a good answer. About as good as you want to give, anyway. Complete with "your."

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Regardless of how close Paterno's relationship was with the kids or how much the parents may or may not have known, you make a phone call to the cops.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've always found these arguments to be dubious.

The athletes represent a university. This particular university fucked up in a way that is beyond the comprehension of any previous NCAA school, aside from maybe Dave Bliss and Baylor, but I think Penn State's situation is worse. The SMU pay-for-players scandal is child's play compared to this monstrosity.

They also represent a university that has built its reputation over the years on the back of the very people who are central to this case.

It may be unfair that the current athletes might pay the price for past indiscretions, but life isn't fair, and it's not as if they couldn't go ply their trade elsewhere.

Penn State has to pay the ultimate price for this if these cover-ups turn out to be true. Nothing less than the death penalty for football would suffice.

5. jr/shotglass

Damn, Beef, that's great to say. It really is.

I'd just LOVE to hear from one of the choir who has actually DONE it. THEN you're a little more worth listening to on this.

That's no better an answer than any of your detractors have provided, and yet you think it's worth throwing out there every time. That's not good enough.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Go fuck yourself Shotty, keep defending Paterno and the enablers. I damn well would make sure things were done if I knew anybody was diddling kids. I figure most on this boeard would, including you. I guess I was wrong.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, purely hypothetical.....

Old man who lives down the block is doing the same thing Sandusky did. I hear about it via a neighborhood rumor. I occasionally see kids I never know going and out of his house. Would you...

1) Confront the neighbor directly to find out what is going on?

2) Call the police (all you have is suspicion and hearsay)?

3) Stay out it.

I know for me, I'm staying out it unless it involves my family. It is NOT my obligation to protect society's children. Their own parents can take up that fight. I'm minding my own business.

8. jr/shotglass

I hope that I would. But I haven't had to yet, so I'm not passing judgment yet.

And "go fuck yourself" is unnecessary. That's why I avoid debating with you.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Because I have not run into this circumstance where a good friend turns out to be a serial pedophile, my opinion doesn't matter?

It is what's expected of any high school teacher or administrator if they find out a teacher or coach is abusing the students under their care. The first call is to the cops or child welfare. Why should expectations be any different for Paterno?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what there is to debate. If you don't do anything you are an enabler. If you can live with that than fine. I know damn well what I would do.

11. jr/shotglass

I don't even know why we do this. You guys aren't going to change your minds, and you're not going to ever think there's any grey in this area. So it's my mistake getting my nose into it.

Back to one-upping each other with the outrage. I'm out.

And P.S. Don't forget to pat each other on the back when you get some really good snark in there.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wetzel weighs in ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--joe-paterno-role-jerry-sandusky-coverup-grows.html;_ylt=Aur28zfJcBol6xK3nRW3Of4LcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFoZnA0Y2I3BG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.