1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN: Penn State emails suggest Paterno involved in cover up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good job on making sure the background was blue.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do you really think the dynamics would be any different at any other major program? Even good ole Notre Dame or holier-than-thou Brigham Young?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Does anyone really think Paterno would ever ratted out Sandusky? That's insane! Those two go way back together. Besides, if the first lieutenant goes down, it's not real good for the captain. Paterno's allegiance were to the program and his loyal assistant, not some 12-year-old he never met.

I'm not sure how much Paterno knew or when he knew it. But even if Paterno was god and knew EVERYTHING, to expect that Paterno would turn Sandusky is just seems ridiculously naive.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The welfare of children is far more important than any relationship they had. You have some real, real issues if you believe what you have just posted. It's disgusting, Paterno and the lot could have prevented numerous children from being raped and you are ok with this?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think Posnanski's book is finished. I seem to remember he mentioned wrapping it up soon after Paterno's funeral.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Hey, if the goal of the second mile was to help out underprivileged kids, well the victims and their children, and their children's children will never have to worry about being underprivileged again.

Will the university have to undergo another stadium building program to pay for the future lawsuit?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not about me in the least. I'm just saying I'm not surprised by any of the stuff reported. I would have been much more surprised if Paterno had reported anything. It's not just a sports thing.... stuff like that goes in political circles, business circles, etc. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

If the guy who sits at the desk next to me is involved in something outside of work that doesn't involve me, I'd really rather not know about it.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and what would you do if you knew he was diddling kids?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What would you do if he was diddling kids? Tell us about how you would swoop in to save the day. Regale us.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

WTF, Mark? If I found out my best friend was raping young boys, my first call is the cops. If it isn't yours, wow. Even if you only know rumours, that's shit that needs to be investigated. You can overlook a lot of shit a loyal friend does, but when it comes to the welfare of children when he is running a children's charity out of your place of work, that's something that needs to be looked into by authorities imediately.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Where were the parents in all of this?

You mean to tell me all these minors getting abused and not a one of them told their parents/guardians? And none of their parents/guardians said anything to anyone for a decade or more? Hard to believe.

Seems to me the responsibility is far greater on the parents to protect their own kids than it is on a football coach who they may have never met, or maybe only met once or twice in passing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.