1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN/NYT: Alberto Gonzales quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Aug 27, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

They're saying this on CNN right now. Good riddance.

Adding link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/27/washington/27cnd-gonzales.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1188216880-zvH0I/JMpU8SND+tgXHDew

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

About time.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He should be taken out in handcuffs.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i predict many, many excuses to follow on this thread by the usual suspects.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's the funny thing about Gonzales: I've heard way fewer people standing up for him than, say, Cheney or Rumsfeld or Rove. I will certainly be interested to see what sort of defense exists for his actions.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but have no doubt, there will be (mindless) defense.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Where's the frogmarch? [/hondo]

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

This administration is easily the worst ever. [/Warren G. Harding]

9. This reminds me of that Simpsons episode when Krusty retired from TV. A reporter got up and asked:

"Krusty, why now? Why not five years ago?"

Gonzalez should have been pushed out or resigned 3-4 months ago. Oh well. One of the reaons he hasn't resigned, according to all the pundits, is that a confirmation hearing on his successor would be a circus, opening up a can of worms on all types of issues.

Should be fun.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL!!

I don't know what to make out of this considering he weathered the initial storm and was handed more power through the amending of the surveillance act. Maybe its a sign of more things on the horizon regarding his behavior that'll surface in the coming weeks. I'm relieved about his resignation but wonder who will fill his void.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Chertoff seems to be the 3-1 favorite.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Word was that Josh Bolten was making all in the administration who stayed past Labor Day stay for the rest of the administration. That was the (unofficially official) reason given for Rove bailing when he did.

That is the only way to explain the timing. Because the uproar over Gonzo had been quiet in recent days — no recent semantic gymnastics before Congess, etc. I figured he'd just ride out the storm and mark time.

Draft saved Draft deleted