1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN: Guiliani leads McCain for rep. pres. nominee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Sep 7, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No. he showed up at public events with his mistress while his wife was home at Gracie Mansion with the kids.
    He is a scumbag of the first order.
    There are two other reasons he has NO SHOT.. Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rudy Guiliani has no prayer of getting the Republican endorsement for president.

General favorability polls more than two years before a nationwide series of primary elections are, essentially, meaningless.

That is all.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I would love to see Guiliani get the nomination because he has such a short fuse and will fuck it up in no time when people see what an anal douchebag he is when he's not being praised as a hero.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As a moderate Republican, I can think of nothing better than choosing between Rudy and McCain for the next nomination.

Part of me wonders if Giuliani is riding a 9/11 wave with all of the anniversary stuff coming up and I would question if he can hold the lead. We'll see. I hope McCain wins, but I'd have no problem with it being Rudy.

5. Most polls in 2002 had Joe Lieberman leading for the Democratic nomination.

It's all about name recognition now. The difference between McCain and Guiliani leading the GOP polls and Hillary leading the Dem. polls is $$$$. The big GOP donors are (wisely) playing a wait-and-see game with McCain/Guiliani, while the Dem doners (unwisely) are banking on Hillary.

For awhile I thought it would be Hillary or Warner vs. George Allen. But "Maccaca" has altered that, and I don't have a friggin' clue who's going to win the GOP nomination. And on the Dem. side, I'm thinking Edwards has a real shot too.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

As a moderate Democrat, I completely agree.

If the Dems can't come up with someone more electable than HRC, I'm going to have to start sleeping on Boom's side of the bed.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it will be interesting to see which Dems enter the ring. I've heard a lot of the big names don't want to compete with Hillary since she has so much money to spend...

I really don't think HRC has a snowballs chance in hell in the general election which is why I'd love to see her get the nomination...

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Those of you who know only Rudy from his fine post 9/11 performance have no clue what a mean-spirited, ill-temperd man he is.
    And if you think the Bush administration tramples on people's rights wait til you see what Rudy (who condoned unfettered use of force and brutality by the NYPD for any reason) can do.
    He did, however, get those "evil" squeegee guys off the steets...and he cleaned up Times Square by selling most of it to Disney and givng the Mouse humongous tax break

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Don't buy into that conservative BS about Hillary being unelectable. A lot of people can't stand her, but she also has lots and lots of fans. She's no lock, but she certainly is as electable as any other Dem.

I don't like her especially -- I find the camp counselor tone of her speeches kind of condescending to the audience -- but the GOP could bring Abe Lincoln back to life and I still wouldn't give that party my vote, not after what we've gone through lately. McCain seems to be a good man, but the people he'd hire is what worries me.

Rudy as hero is a bit much. He did what any NYC mayor would have done. Do you think David Dinkins or Michael Bloomberg would have been incapable of putting on a brave face and wearing a baseball cap at photo opps? They are all politicians, actors.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think Hillary doesn't match up well against McCain, but I think she can beat any other Republican including Giuliani. Rudy has been in three races during his career. He lost a close one and won a close one against Dinkins, and he had an easy second-term victory. He would have lost to Hillary in 2000. His short fuse would result in some explosions on the campaign trail.

The difference in Bush's elections for president were that he lost by 500,000 popular votes in 2000 and won the popular vote by 3.5-million. I'm rounding numbers to make a point and because I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers. The point is that is a difference of 4-million votes. Karl Rove said in 2000, he expected a lot more votes and attributed that to white, evangelical Christian voters not voting - and the number he gave was 4 million. Rudy doesn't get those 4-million votes, and Hillary brings back the gender gap where women vote in larger numbers for the Democratic nominee. McCain is the only Republican who can stop the gender gap.

I'd like to see another Democrat like former Va. governor Mark Warner get the nomination, but it's all about raising money and that will be decided in 2007.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Oh, I forgot, yes there was an office affair. Before dumping Donna Hanover and his kids for Judi Nathan, Rudy had an affair with one of the PR assistants in the Mayor's office.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee will assure a Republican in the White House in 2008 -- unless the Republican is the same caliber candidate that the Dems put up against Bush

Draft saved Draft deleted