1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN Fat Kid Story: A classic hang 'em out to dry.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Mar 22, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

CNN teased this story all afternoon...'and coming up, the 256 pound 7-year-old!' (cut to Little Likes basketball hoop, with a little cartoon bubble over the net thinking 'please don't let this behemoth fall on me...'). Mentioned it every five minutes for two hours.

And it just annoyed me, because CNN is correct in thinking that people will sit there for two hours waiting to see the freak show.

btw, there's no link, but you can see the video on cnn.com. Very sad.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My son turned seven last month. He weighs 60 pounds or so. He eats like a horse - none of the shit that kid eats (four fucking eggs?) - but gets plenty of fruits and veggies and he gets a McDonald's, Wendy's etc. treat maybe once a month. Oh yeah, and he's extremely active.

In other words it ain't rocket science.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Could just be a case of big bones.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You guys act like the fat CNN kid doesn't get exercise. Yes, he eats the occasional meal at McDonald's ... but at least it's a McDonald's Play Place.

Woofing down a Big Mac or two seven while taking a dive into the ball pit never hurt anyone.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Unless there's a small child hiding in the ball pit ... that could be trouble.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's an interesting story. Should the government take a kid away from his parents because he is overweight?

Some people just aren't good parents in lots of different ways. Some people don't know any better.

Why would the state intervene here and not in other cases, like where kids are verbally abused or put up with second-hand smoke or aren't allowed to leave the yard and play with neighborhood children, etc.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

If that child were starving, the government would intervene and not many here would have a problem.
    To me, this is child abuse on a different level. I don't have kids but I do volunteer work with young girls, many obese, some with body fat nearing the 40 percent rage, and that is a national crime. I'm not saying they should be removed from their parents, but a child advocate needs to closely monitor the situation. The problem is so many case workers are overworked with abuse "issues," so this falls under the radar.
    But isn't this abuse on some level?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yo. Ding dong man ding dong.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

As Borat showed.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Diet Sprite and Diet Iced Tea on that piece of the paper is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It absolutely is abuse. The difference though is in the type. Children that are fed too much aren't that way because their parents don't care. It is such that their parents are just ignorant of how to be healthy. Underfeeding is a result of general neglect and a lack of caring. It could also be money, but, these are things that you cannot correct.

You cannot make a mother that neglects a child care about that child. You can make a mother that overindulges a child understand the ramifications of their actions.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess the sense of abuse in this case is the fact that the mother's actions, while showing a lack of knowledge as opposed to a lack of care, are leading to problems which very much could and are affecting this child's health. So I'm not completely convinced it's not equally bad.

But I'd have a hard time supporting the removal of the kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted