1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN Fat Kid Story: A classic hang 'em out to dry.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Am I the only one who noticed that there were no fruits or veggies on that list? What about milk?

There's also no mention of snacks like some else mentioned. I don't think that list is very truthful. No way.

That kid probably would not like eating at my house. But then again, if you don't like what's served here, you make yourself a sandwich or go hungry.

I sure hope someone can help that poor child. And maybe educate the mother on proper nutrition.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: CNN Fat Kid Story: A classic hang \'em out to dry.

Not to mention the suffering the person endures, physically and emotionally. In my mind that is a problem too.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I agree there will be suffering of various types for that kid. But again, that's a result of poor parenting. I'm far from the perfect parent, I admit, and I imagine my kids will also suffer to one degree or another because of stupid choices I make, but I do not believe -- at least not in this case -- that you take a child away from a parent because he/she is obese.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Gotta agree with you on that one, Ides. The idea is to act in the best interests of the child, but you have to believe staying with the parents is usually the best way. However, with this kid's health at great risk, surely there's a way to put conditions on the parents, to protect the child's welfare.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's a civil rights thing I certainly don't feel qualified to argue.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Why do people like this agree to go on TV? I was thinking about this while watching the HBO thing on addiction. I'm thinking, what, are you people on drugs?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

15 minutes of fame.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

burp

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

OK, they're debating this on CNN now and I've kind of changed my mind -- kind of.

For argument's sake, what is the difference between feeding your child so much he is 175 pounds overweight by the age of 7 and neglecting your child to the point of not feeding him until he is only 40 pounds at the age of 7?

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Although we don't know what he's cramming down the chute between meals, the meal list is disturbing.

Vienna sausages, popcorn and "Nutr Butter" bars aren't healthy fare for a 7-year old. Neither is 4 eggs and Diet Sprite for breakfast.

If she's feeding him this crap all the time, no wonder he's a porker even if he does have a gland problem.

Eat some fuckin' lettuce and broccoli and chicken, see a doctor and start exercising.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I view the difference as overindulgence versus neglect.

If you don't feed your kid, you don't care. If you feed them too much it just means your ignorant on proper dieting. The latter can be corrected while the former will never be.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]
    You mean you eat other people's lunches?

Draft saved Draft deleted