1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN coverage of Mount Hood search-and-rescue attempt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2006.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There are many, many people who don't grasp the danger in a situation until it's too late.

[/quote]

Right. ANd maybe if they knew their family was gonna get a bill for rescuing them they'd stop and say, "Yo dawg (all rich white guys talk like this), maybe we outta do this in June instead of December? Maybe we outta do this when the weather is in the 60s instead of near zero."

Have I driven over 80 MPH? Yes, til I got caught speeding and got a BILL for $181. Guess what? Suddenly didnt find it worth it anymore.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Like I said, go find 'em come May.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mt. Hood is climbed quite regularly in the winter, by experienced mountaineers. Guys so good that the only time they need to be rescued by others is when things are seriously FUBARed.

As for Rosie's comment, it's a hell of a lot easier to organize a mountain search and rescue than evacuating people from the roofs of a major city. The first one is practiced and practiced as SAR teams do training. How are you going to train for Katrina? Ask a few thousand people to climb up on their roofs one weekend so the National Guard can practice?

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well... THAT was your moment of clarity.

You were very lucky.

Thanks for helping my point.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The Coast Guard in particular performed thousands (I believe that's the right order of magnitude) sortees to rescue people from rooftops in NOLA. There were a lot of problems with response, but once the armed forces got tapped, they did great work in those situations from all I've heard/read. And there aren't thousands of helicopters sitting around designated to pluck that number of people from rooftops. Big difference in scale of rescue, some have called it biblical.

Not that I would have expected Rosie or any other bloviator to make soundbyte statements with any real grasp of actual events.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll trust d_b_v's take on Katrina more than Rosie.

Sadly, most things in this country end up majorly effed unless the Guard/military get involved. The logistics knowledge/specialization these guys bring to the table is awesome in the true sense of the word.

8. You're also not landing through wires and all the other air-rights stuff that's on top of city buildings.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Oz, plenty of money was spent on Katrina recovery -- once people realized how much of a mess things were. Remember, after the first few hours, everyone thought NOLA was out of the woods. Don & Mike were interviewing a CBS News reporter about 5 p.m. that day on their radio show. All everyone talked about was how much of a disaster was averted.

It wasn't until Wednesday when people started to realize how dire the situation there was.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You could say the same thing about the James Kim story. Non-stop, wall-to-wall coverage for a week.
    Or the child kidnappings.
    Or the highway chases.

The fact that there's been little extremely hard news lately has dragged this out on the news channels.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Are you talking about the money spent on rescue attempts or the amount of TV coverage given the two events? I think you're missing the forest for the cable news channel.

12. Let's remember the summer of '01, which was sharks and Gary Condit.
    There were other things people should have been covering.

Draft saved Draft deleted