1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN coverage of Mount Hood search-and-rescue attempt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2006.

1. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

again suburbanite, it's a little more than "getting their rocks off" but again, there's no changing your mind on that issue. you fail to see the point. others don't see it that way. doesn't make you the final arbiter of all things noble and worthwhile.

and i'm not sure you want to travel down the "taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill" road. talk about your slippery slopes. sheesh, wouldn't be wonderful if we could all earmark where are tax dollars go. and you must have missed my sentence where i said climbers are on the hook for search and rescue bills. when on big climbs like this, it's recommended that climbers purchase insurance to cover any S&R bills. i remember reading

furthermore, people sign up to be part of search and rescue teams. the rescuers themselves are often adventure enthusiasts. some of them feel a bond with people of like interests who need help on the mountain.

if you'd rather just leave them, that's fine with me. but if you had a relative up there, say a close cousin i'm sure you'd want someone to help find him, even if you disagreed with your cousin's pursuit just for jollies.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Funky mountain, how much do you think a couple of Black hawk helicopters and a C-130 rescue plane cost for a week?

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i never said it was inexpensive. again, wouldn't it be great if we could earmark our tax dollars.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

From AP:

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good point raised by the article calling these military flights "training missions." That's why NASCAR races and football games also get such flyovers pro bono.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I cannot believe I'm quote Rosie O'Donnell; however, she made a joke/fodder/point/rebuttle to this rescue mission on "The View" this morning.

She said: 1,000s of people are stuck on their roofs during Katrina, with TV cameras showing it all and no one could save them until days and days later. 3 men are on Mt. Hood and there are Black Hawks and hundreds of people looking for them.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

But the guys on Mt. Hood are white [/conspiracy theorist]

I live out West and these guys were absolute morons for trying to climb this time of year. Notice that locals are almost never in need of rescue. Bloody idiots.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think so.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No. The hockey general manager's daughter being washed overboard on a boat that she was working on is an accident. These guys planned to do this trip. In December. Knowing damn well what the weather forecast was. It wasn't a situation where they said "ya know, I have the day off and the golf courses are all crowded. I think I'll grab a fleece and go climb Mt. Hood."

Seriously, maybe if we start sending a Mastercard-like statement to the house after a rescue mission some of these people will start to think twice. Being that its six days before Christmas, I'm willing to bet that these rescuers have better things to be doing than dealing with this jackoffery.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There are many, many people who don't grasp the danger in a situation until it's too late.

Have you ever driven 80 or more on the highway?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They're dead anyway. Find 'em come spring.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hell, those idiots wandered out onto a glacier. They're pobably down a crevass and will NEVER be found (unless global warming causes the glacier to melt).

Draft saved Draft deleted