1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN coverage of Mount Hood search-and-rescue attempt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Damn tourists.

2. Deaths in Iraq? Hard to find on television. Genocide in Darfur? Invisible. But three idiots get lost climbing a mountain in December and it's wall-to-wall coverage.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Agreed. I know this might sound harsh, but whereas James Kim just took a wrong turn while trying to get his family home, these guys put themselves in harm's way for no good reason other than seeking thrills.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Listen to conservative talk radio and you'd swear all we hear about is "all the bad things" in Iraq.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Somebody had to say it.

This is a tragedy, but in some respects, it's an avoidable tragedy. Scale that thing in May or June already.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Read a blog item by a FWST editorial writer who pretty much asked the question about the cost of the rescue operation versus the climbers' decision to make a fast ascent of a tough mountain in the middle of December. Agree that they didn't deserve to die, but unlike the Kim situation, these guys climbed into their graves while Kim fell into his.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In some states, they're starting to make these guys (provided they're found alive) pay for part of the rescue operation expenses. Was a case like that in New Hampshire or Vermont a few years ago, where some idiot, inexperienced hikers got lost and there was a several-day search mission.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That is becoming more and more common.

These guys were experienced mountaineers. I suspect they were trying a an alpinist-style climb, which eschews hundreds of pounds of equipment in favor of a light-and-quick summit try. This tragedy will be dissected in the climbing community. I suspect Outside will have some great coverage. Just wish it was of a miraculous rescue.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Inky, you seem to know your stuff, so I'll ask you this. Presumably they would have know the weather conditions were gonna turn like they did, right? If so, why would they head up there when 100 mph winds were on the horizon?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have no clue. I'm hoping some of the climbing/outdoor magazines will answer that question.

Perhaps they weren't expecting it to be that bad. Or, as the authorities have been speculating, perhaps one of them was injured and that slowed them down to the point of getting trapped by the storm.

11. statrat

statrat Member

I'm not sure what they are going to do regarding payment, but I'm told by a friend from down there that the search has already put Hood River County's budget for S.A.R operations into the red for the season, and the volunteer search crews are basically exhausted. From what they told me, these guys where thinking of eventually taking a shot at Everest and considered Hood just another "little" mountain to climb. Considering any mountain in the Northwest a "little" mountain can lead to tragedy.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bill the families. It's cruel. Don't care. My Mother's still paying medical bills for my stepfather who passed away three years ago. The hospital doesnt seem to give a shit that he's no longer around. They want their money. Maybe a detestable action like this will get some of these people to wise the hell up.

Rich white guy wants to seek thrills? Drive through Compton in a brand new Cadillac with the windows down.

Draft saved Draft deleted