1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN caught editing wrestler's answer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Which is not an excuse for leaving it out. If a person says "Absolutely not," to leave it out and just use what CNN used is flat-out wrong, and I don't care about the nature of TV and time constraints, etc. Cut out more bullshit somewhere else to give you the 1.8 seconds "Absolutely not" requires.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

So. . .

Who was the blonde interviewing him?

A reporter, or a P.A.?

She looks smoking from the side.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Seems to me the "I've been tested since I was 17 ..." line gets his point across the most clearly. Bad editing? Yes. But at the heart of this is the condensing of news, both on broadcast and print media. If CNN had alloted more than three minutes to the subject, it may have been able to present a more well-rounded story.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, not really since being able to beat the tests is the key to anyone doping.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't see why CNN would have any reason to be biased against WWE. It's not like the people who owned them also owned a wrestling company. Well, except for World Championship Wrestling. But it's not like they were bitter rivals. Except for 1996-2001, when the WWE chairman did a skit on one of his shows making fun of the death of Ted Turner's parents and implying he was a drunk. But they're not competitors now. Because WCW went out of business, their battered leftovers purchased by WWE and most of their workers made to look like morons in the process.

Gotta love coincidences.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Do you think that anyone at CNN gives the first crap about WCW/WWF(E) issues?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And Turner no longer owns CNN. And people on the news side couldn't give two shits about the other holdings of their former owner.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

People, please. I'm being fascetious. I'm part of the anti-blue brigade, so that's why I put in the part about coincidences so people wouldn't get all butthurt and OMG HE'S BEING A MARK DOESN'T HE KNOW SHIT?

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

CNN to WWE: No apology

WWE received the following statement last night at 10:00 pm EST from CNN's Director of Public Relations, Jennifer Dargan:

"CNN felt that Mr. Cena's statement in the interview:

"My answer to that question 'have you ever used steroids' is -- the only thing I can say -- I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have"

was a more expansive and complete answer -- and that's why we used it in the first run of the program. And we stand by that decision. But, we added the other quote on the Sunday replay where Mr. Cena first denied using steroids. We did this because of his complaint and the attention it received so that viewers could see how he said it both times."

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

"I can't tell you I haven't" within the (deleted) context of people not taking him at his word or trusting the test results is their most complete and accurate quote? Horse hockey. That's right. Horse hockey.

At least they're being honest about their desire to not apologize, instead of putting up some half-hearted mea culpa to shut people up while not really admitting to anything.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

There's only good way to resolve this:
    CNN editor vs. Cena
    Hell in a Cell
    Wrestlemania
    Loser leaves his particular business for good
    (and no returning to CNN under a mask as the Yellow Dog or Midnight Rider)

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hell, Cena's wrestled Kevin Federline, so why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted