1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN caught editing wrestler's answer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

That was a bizarre edit. Would you have done the same thing if it was a quote in a story?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A bad edit, no doubt, done for expediency to get it into the time allotted.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I watched the hour-long show and CNN saved the Cena interview for the last three minutes.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No, but I understand why it was done. Don't necessarily agree, but understand.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

He doesn't contradict himself at all. His point at the end was that he can't tell anyone that he hasn't used steroids because people will believe that he has anyway.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They used that part, didn't they? And he didn't say it very well so it makes it seem even worse for him.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very true. Several retired wrestlers have talked to reporters about how much junk they needed to survive the 250-plus nights of performances each year plus the afterparties. Steroids were just part of it. But a special report on wrestlers and sleeping pills isn't sexy.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ace, I disagree. He may have stumbled in the middle, but his point at the beginning and at the end were very concise and clear. They chose a bad part, likely on purpose, because it fit their story THEY wanted to do better. They could have chosen a clearer part, closer to the meaning, that was just as long.

9. Also, if someone gives a definitive answer to your question, but then rambles on and on allowing for a different interpretation, you can't be selective. You can use the whole thing to let the guy hang himself and look stupid, but you can't take out something so clear as that. At least, I would never do that or endorse my paper doing it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't either, but TV is different. You can't really cut and paste together certain parts or paraphrase as easily.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So they cut the "absolutely not," which is certainly expedient, and leave in the rambling quote? Makes sense to me.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the "absolutely not" sure looses a lot of its definitive meaning when he starts rambling.

Draft saved Draft deleted