1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNN caught editing wrestler's answer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Nov 13, 2007.

1. CNN ran a show about wrestling and steroids and edited a wrestler's comments to make it appear that he was more evasive than he actually was. The questions was, "have you ever used steroids" and his immediate answer was "absolutely not," followed by a long answer. CNN cut the "absolutely not" and only used the rest of the answer, making him appear to evade a question that he actually answered.

I don't care about wrestling or steroids, but CNN is supposed to be vaguely more trustworthy than other networks and news sources. And this kind of thing just makes us all look bad in the minds of viewers and readers.

http://www.wrestling-edge.com/wwenews.php?subaction=showfull&id=1194703656&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/wrestling/blog/2007/11/cnn_owes_cena_an_apology.html

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

My question is what makes you think CNN is "vaguely more trustworthy than other networks?"

When will we be able to admit to ourselves that we all slant the news? Oh sure, we try to remain "objective," but come on. We are only fooling ourselves.

We all have agendas, and CNN doesn't even attempt to hide its left-leaning beliefs.

Word to the wise ... whether it be in print, on TV, on radio or anywhere else, take it with a grain of salt. If it's on a blog, then a pillar of salt will suffice.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

In case you all want to see the videos...

(unedited)

(CNN version)

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Pathetic. (CNN, that is, not the thread)

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Watch Lou Dobbs and then tell me CNN "doesn't attempt to hide its left-leaning beliefs."

His anti-Mexican tirades are so bizarre (and so factually selective) they would make the most extreme right Fox News talking head blush.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, in defense of CNN, he does contradict himself. He says absolutely not at the beginning part that is cut then says at the end that he can't tell you he hasn't.

Blame CNN if you want, but I blame Cena.

1. He agreed to an interview knowing that would probably be a question.

2. He rambled. Should have stuck with absolutely not. His answer unedited didn't make a lick of sense. They had to edit it somehow.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Cena absolutely should have given a clearer answer. He's one of the best talkers in wrestling, a profession that puts a lot of weight on mic skills. People can say what they will about wrestling and wrestlers, but the most successful names in wrestling the last 20 years (Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, Cena) are highly magnetic and better quotes than damn near anyone you can find (in the sense that they put their answers together well, not that they're going to give you hot scoops).

That said, I think (and so does Wade Keller) that Cena was trying to say that he could never tell anyone that he didn't take steroids, because they'd assume he was anyway. And even if he passed a drug test, it would be assumed a) tainted or b) bullshit. Which is a little paranoid, perhaps, but I understand his point because anyone cut like this ...

[​IMG]

... is going to fall under scrutiny no matter what they say.

Regardless, CNN really looks stupid out of this. And it's no secret that WWE tapes this stuff on site for just such a possibility. Hell, I'm surprised Jim Ross didn't cut in the scene to ask Cena about Randy Orton.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Thanks for adding the wrestler's picture. WOOF!

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

William Hurt would be proud.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I just want to say this, having stood three feet from Cena...his biceps are larger than my thighs.

And I'm not a size 2.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By the way, I believe it is still legal in this country to edit someone's answer -- even for CNN.

And I seriously doubt there is a pro wrestler on the major circuit who isn't taking something.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

CNN missed the boat. Its Special Investigations Unit needed to report on the wrestlers' use of legal (sleeping pills) and illegal drugs (marijuana, cocaine, heroin) in conjunction with steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted