1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI's Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Dec 14, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If they're being furloughed as well, then they shouldn't be working either.

If they're being furloughed and working, then they're part of the problem.

No one can legally force you to work without being paid. The fact that issuing furloughs isn't hurting the company's products in any significant, noticeable way -- above and beyond the damage already done -- is the reason they keep doing it.

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It's not about people working on their furlough; it's about other people cramming more into their day/week while a co-worker is on furlough. And that does happen (it's happening now).

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People have to cram in more when their coworkers are sick or on vacation, too. It happens.

Where it's messed up is when your boss expects you to do your own extra work before your furlough to cover your time when you're gone. Then, they are just getting extra work out of you for free.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Then it's quality or quantity. If they want more out of you, then they have to accept that the quality will suffer. Same if they want the same amount of work in fewer hours.

The higher-ups certainly don't care if the quality suffers. If your editors do, then that's on them.

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Damn. I'm on vacation until Monday and just saw this thread. If it's happening at our place (and I'm sure it is), no one's even had the decency to even tell me (or even taken the easy way out and sent an email - I just checked).

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

SS: At our shop, we didn't call the folks who were off on Monday because we didn't want to ruin their day off. Perhaps your co-workers are doing the same for you while you're on vacation?

I'm desperately looking for any sense of decency right now.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I'm thinking that's the case too. That's a rotten thing to tell someone days before Christmas, but if we've learned anything in all this it's that it won't be the last rotten thing we hear.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I've learned to never ask, "What next?" Because they will definitely tell me.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yep...furloughs are unpaid days off...that means no working...my shop has been great about that part, but we're on our 9th month of one furlough a month. ughh.

If the company is unwilling to pay for full hours, then they need to make concessions to get by with a lesser workload...for us that means going to fewer games/events. So maybe, save the tab, but drop out of some game coverage this week.

Also, don't come into work on your regular vacation...go relax

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Any of you folks on here getting hit with these furloughs --- spend your furloughed day contacting your state's unemployment office. Depending on the state you live in you can get compensated for this furlough day -- even if it's just one day. In the eyes of the unemployment people, it's as if they are laying you off for one day.

I've heard that some states require a minimum number of days before you are eligible but in some states you are eligible for even just one day. Won't be a huge check but usually around 70% of your normal day's pay. And if you aren't working that day, might as well spend that time getting it sorted out.

Certainly won't hurt to call them up and ask. I hate when I see people not take advantage of this because they assume they won't get anything. In certain states, you will.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What he said. And don't, under any circumstance, ask your HR person about it. They'll tell you that you can't claim it, because they don't want to pay it. Fuck 'em. Do it anyway.

In Florida, for example, you have to be unemployed for a week to claim benefits. Whether five separate days count, I'm not sure. They probably do. But think of it this (depressing) way: Even if you don't get to claim unemployment for this furlough day, you might be able to for the next one.

Or it might get you benefits more quickly in the worst of worsts.

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yeah definitely don't approach anyone at work about it first because they will lie out of their ass about it. Call your unemployment center first and see what they say. Then stick it to your paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted